Forums

Research in Science Education

Delaney

This topic discusses these resources

Author Post
Delaney LaBelle Delaney LaBelle 20 Points

I think that this article was very well written. It was organized and I learned alot about this lesson. I like how this lesson had the 5E (engagment, exploration, explanation, and evaluation) In this article they tetsed how long dinosaur's by length from head to tail. In the aritcle they broke up the 5E in parts. This was very organized and put together. The first day the students did the firs E which was engagement. The students shared what they knew about dinosours. Alot of studnts thought that dinosaurs were long even when they were adults, but one students said a dinosour can be tiny. The students then looked at plastic figures of dinosours and looked at which ones were larger. I thought it was interesting  that so many studnts were having touble because they thought dinosours were very large. They also read something about dinosaurs to get even more becround infromation about the instinct animals. On day 2 they made sure the studnts had to use their listing ears. I think this is important to reassure that the studnts know their expectations. The studnts looked at things such as how much. more longer are the dinosaurs than us, how many studnts would make up the length, etc. I think that expoloring this and looking for a reason makes this experiment so important. I also like how it gives a list of materials and the preperation for the activity this makes it easier for teachers to get the supplies.  As a teacher this activity is fun and hands on for students and I would do this in my classroom. The students then measured themselevs and they saw how many preschoolers per dinosours. After that, they used mathematical and computational thinking as they compared the length of dinosaurs and displayed the data in bar graph format. This gets students to use thier brains to think of a scale and to somapre the sizes. They then made a graph to show there data. This is good for studnts to sue these numbers and make graphs to show their evidence. In the afternoon on day 2 they did their explanation. In this part the studnts used mathematic thinking to compare the length of themselves and of the dinosours. The studnts knew how to use the scale for the mesaurement because they have donw this in future activities. The students then put them in groups of small, medium, and large. they then asked after this if some students have changed their minds after they have seen the data. In the elerbation part on day 3, the students got to compare things from the classroom to use a non standard meausrement to think in a different way. Some students used cubes to do this and they were in stations. I think this can make it more organized. In the evulation, the students talked on the carpet about what they learned. I think this is important to end a lesson which sharing what you learned.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers