Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Speed and Motion

Physical Science

Speed and Motion

Author Post
Michelle Kohler Michelle Kohler 155 Points

I am developing a lesson on speed and how weight can affect it. Does anyone have any materials and/or resources that could help supplement the lesson? 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

You could start here: http://ngss.nsta.org/classroom-resources-results.aspx?CoreIdea=2

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

I highly recommend physicsclassroom.com - it has tutorials, handouts, worksheets, etc.  I purchased the CDs with answerkeys, word files and PDFs - which became a staple in my classroom.

Also, you have to check out the simulations at phet.colorado.edu 

In particular, you probably want to use  https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/forces-and-motion-basics  If you register as a teacher you will have access to a whole community in which lessons, activities, handouts are shared and in word formats.  Almost all the simulations are translated into about 20 languages!

By the way, just to be picky -  weight does not affect speed.  A truck and a car can have the same speed.  Forces and mass affect acceleration.  

Hope this helps!

Joseph Bellina Joseph Bellina 170 Points

Michelle,

I'm wondering what you had in mind?

best,

joe

5am Teacher 5am Teacher 20 Points

Betterlesson.com (or maybe it’s .org) is always a great place to pinch ideas from :)

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Thanks for the link. It is betterlesson.com. 

Sarah Monda Sarah Monda 665 Points

PHET

InSpark can be useful for delivering online lectures and for collaboration. 

Brainpop is also good resource. Lots of tools, videos, worksheets, games, etc.

Maura Purcell Maura Purcell 1250 Points

Just a thought but I would love to find a way to use hotwheels in a speed and motion lesson. I haven't been in the toy section of a store in a while, are they still making them? I know that that would be a fun lab activitity if you could pull it off. 

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Oh yes, Maura, they still make Hotwheels but you'll go broke if you want a bunch for your classroom!  Go to a dollar store and buy tons of them for just a few bucks. OR, put in a request for donations on your school website and/or newsletter.

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Marci Marci Green 20 Points

You got a number of 'hot wheels' at the local dollar store this spring

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers