Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Classroom Management

New Teachers

Classroom Management

Author Post
Allyson Bailey Allyson Bailey 2135 Points

How do you maintain classroom management and control during active science lessons? I am curious about how to keep students under control when encouraging movement and active involvement in teaching.

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Allyson,

I have always liked an active class – provided the activity is focussed on learning!  Observing what is happening is important - so pick a corner of the room and set yourself up there.  From that point of the room the entire class is in front of you and visible. Be aware that some students may be behind you when you are helping someone, so turn yourself to have as many students (or the sneaky ones) in front of you.

I think the key to the management strategy you seek is getting the class back to listening to you. Developing procedures to quiet the class is a good place to start. Use your teacher voice and be direct – “I need everyone back in their seats.”

Don’t ‘talk over’ a class – that is, talking loudly while students are moving about or talking.  Give one simple command and wait until all students have complied.  To remove distractions, insist that students put down everything and face you before talking.  A gentle reminder like, “Bright and shiny faces this way, please,” may be required.  When needed I would count to three out loud.  Most students respond quickly to this– particularly if you have been using it all year.  (You can also thank parents and previous teachers for introducing this strategy.) 

My last resort for a rambunctious class would be to look at the clock and write the time I asked them to settle down on the board.  I remained totally quiet until the last student was seated and looking forward. I would then write the time they were ready.  I would add that time to the end of the period, insisting that they are owed a complete period.

Hope this helps!

Beatrice Taylor Beatrice Taylor 3896 Points

Ally, make sure that you have well established procedures for everything in your classroom....and then practice them.  Once students know what your expectations are and you have that relationship so that they want to please you, your classroom management will go much better. Dr. T

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers