Forums

Evaluation and Assessment

Assement

Author Post
Mercy Aguayo Mercy Aguayo 2600 Points

What are some fun ways I can assess young students after a lesson? Traditional assessment seems to be boring and not open to creativity. I would like my future student to look forward to taking an assessment rather then dreeding it. Any ideas? 

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Mercy -- In addition to assessing students after a lesson, it's important to informally assess students during a lesson.

Quick and frequent thumbs-up/down responses from the students can give you instant feedback during a discussion. Some teachers use small white boards or half sheets of paper on which students write and display short responses. Students could do a quick write in their notebook/journal, share their writing with a partner, and then summarize to the class. Students creating a graphic organizer, drawings, or summaries could be alternatives to quizzes. Walking around with a checklist of skills, lab behaviors, or quick questions can be used when students are working together.
[size=3][font=Arial]
These formative assessments give you just-in-time feedback on what you might need to reteach, what students might need more practice with, or misconceptions they have. [/font][/size]

Mary B.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers