Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Keep Student's Interest

Elementary Science

Keep Student's Interest

Author Post
Emily Solis Emily Solis 240 Points

I have noticed that although children do get become curious and interested in science, they tend to disengage quickly. If there any recomandations to keep students engaged once they already understand the concept being taught?

Justine Patterson Justine Patterson 115 Points

I believe a large part of keeping childrens intrest in an activity/topic is by having a hands on approach from the students. By having the teacher stand infront of the room and talk or do the expirement themselves to show the students what they are discussing doesnt keep the stuents attention for very long. By letting the students have a hands on approach in the classroom as much as possible this seems to keep their attention! Students end up remembering not only what they are doing but why for a much longer amount of time then a standard lecture! But this is just one idea - :) 

Maria Rodriguez Maria Rodriguez 55 Points

A good idea to keep the students engage is to let them talk about what they leaned today with the other students on their table and not go off topic, but they would talk about the fun activity they did and would not want to stop talking about it. 

Leah Damon Leah Damon 220 Points

I like the idea of having a group discussion between the student because it will allow the students to be engaged with the lesson and can show them different perspectives on the assignment which is vital for science comprehension

Leah Damon Leah Damon 220 Points

I like the idea of having a group discussion between the student because it will allow the students to be engaged with the lesson and can show them different perspectives on the assignment which is vital for science comprehension

Amanda Hernandez Amanda Hernandez 460 Points

I belive introduction to science early in childhood is essential to gaining intrest. Science experiments modeled by the teacher at the beginning of the lecture can engage students. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers