Evaluation and Assessment

Formative Assessment

Author Post
Reginald Lloyd Reginald Lloyd 290 Points

Reginald Lloyd

March 23, 2024

Dr. Ciphrah/Dr. Taylor

MEDU 603

Our readings asked the question: What is formative assessment, and what is it not?  Formative assessment is a way for teachers to gauge students' thoughts and how they are progressing toward a given project or task. Once the teacher has received or gauged where their students are, the teacher can provide feedback to each student. The feedback given by the teacher will allow students to improve in those needed areas that may have been a challenge to that student. We must remember that formative assessment is not a one-time assessment but is a continual practice to gauge students and push them toward success with their learning and critical thinking process.  

In the classroom, formative assessment will look like this to me: short questions will be asked at the end of the activity to identify students' knowledge and possible challenges, I will present the class with a quick quiz to capture whether students grasp concepts, and I will a collaboration youngest class for the class to give peer to peer feedback. These formative assessments would be helpful not only for the teacher but also for the student. As stated, these formative assessments are not one-time assessments but can and will be used consistently to capture what students understand and what challenges they may face.    

My unit plan deals with sensitive plants. I would ask the 5th-grade class the following question: When you hear the word sensitive, what does it mean to you? I want to listen and understand how they describe the word sensitive and what it means and looks like to them at their age. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers