Forums

Forums / Chemistry / What to expect out of first year student teaching?

Chemistry

What to expect out of first year student teaching?

Author Post
Christpher Barna Christopher Barna 1020 Points

Hello everyone! I recently began my student teaching experience for my final year of my Master's degree in teaching. I was hoping that someone could provide me with some advice as to what to expect for the upcoming year. What can I do in order to prepare myself best for the actual classroom? What are some things that you wish you had did during your student teaching to prepare yourself better?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Christopher and WELCOME to the profession!
I hope you have a wonderful student teaching experience. There are so many things that you will pick up on your own as you are given the reigns of the classroom. I think the most important advice I can give you is this: Treat each and every single student in your classroom with the utmost care and respect. You are there for the students and not the other way around. If the kids see how much you care that they succeed in how you treat them, acknowledge their presence, etc., that will set the tone for learning as well.
There is a journal article about mentoring first year teachers that I think you would enjoy reading. It is written for teachers who plan to mentor new teachers; however, I think you would benefit from some of the advice given to these mentors about how they can help their new teachers. If you are not fortunate enough to have a more experienced and effective teacher take you under his/her wing, seek out someone you see is an outstanding teacher and ask for help. Most excellent teachers will always take time to help out the newer ones! Plus they would be terribly flattered. Best of luck. Here is the article: Everyone Needs a Mentor
Best Regards,
Carolyn

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Christpher and welcome to the teaching profession!

Carolyn gave you some great advice for your student teaching and beginning your career in teaching. Here are a few more tidbits that I found very useful during my first year of teaching:
- Read How to be an Effective Teacher: The First Days of School by Harry K. Wong. This is a fantastic book full of great ideas including classroom management, record keeping, etc.)
- Don't be afraid to ask your sponsor teacher and clinical supervisor for help
- If you don't know the answer, tell the kids, don't try to fake it. The kids will know right away if you're trying to pull the wool over their eyes. SmartBoards are a great tool to look up info on the fly, but if you don't have one or don't have time tell the kids you'll get an answer to them and start class the next day with the answer -- this goes back to the respect aspect that Carolyn discussed
- Be prepared. If you put the time into lesson planning before class, your lessons will go much smoother. You will also keep the kids engaged because your class will flow well
- Avoid being the 'sage on the stage' and be 'a guide on the side'
- Use the textbook as a guide, but always be on the lookout for activities that will extend the lesson and excite your students about learning (the NSTA Learning Center is a great place to look for outstanding, engaging activities. Try the Advanced Search to find resources.
- Show your students how much you love science. Your enthusiasm is contagious!
- Finally, have fun! Teaching is such a rewarding profession. While it's sometimes difficult to reach all of our students, when you have a kid who's been struggling who finally 'gets it' it's the best feeling in the world.

Best of luck! If you have more question or needs ideas, be sure to post back in the forums. We all love to share and learn from each other! :)

Maureen

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Christopher--
Welcome to science teaching! There were days when I looked around and said 'This is the greatest job in the world!' Of course, I was ready to quit in October of my first year. Fortunately, my colleagues were a great help and I made it through the first year.

You might be interested in the NSTA publication 'Risse and Shine: A practical guide for the beginning science teacher.' Here is the link to the NSTA press page, and if you scroll down, there is an online preview chapter and you can look at the online extras that are part of this resource.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers