This interactive web seminar will begin with an overview of safety protocols specific for doing elementary level safer science/STEM classroom/laboratory activities with Dr. Ken Roy, NSTA and NSELA Safety Compliance Advisor/specialist and, Director of Environmental Health & Safety, Glastonbury Public Schools (CT). In addition, Dr. Kevin Doyle of Morris Hills Regional School District, NSTA Safety Advisory Board Chairperson will also be presenting.
Critical related topics for science/STEM pre-service elementary teachers addressed include legal safety standards and better professional safety practices, engineering controls, standard operating procedures, personal protective equipment, duty or standard of care and more. Time permitting, individual questions will be answered by the presenters near the end of the program.
All individuals receive a certificate of participation and 100 NSTA activity points for attending the live seminar and completing the end-of-program survey. A certificate of participation is not awarded for watching the recorded version of the program.
This web seminar is hosted for and by the National Chapter for Preservice Teachers at NSTA. We invite you to register for upcoming web seminars at NSTA.
View the Archive Video
To view the presentation slides from the web seminar and related resources, visit the resource collection.
Continue discussing this topic in the community forums.
Below are comments from individuals who attended the seminar:
- "I enjoyed hearing the speaker's personal stories because it was real-world examples of what was done."
- "I really enjoyed learning about the different hazardous materials. I found that to be interesting because some of the materials listed, I did not think would be hazardous so it was good to know!"
- "I really enjoyed the questions at the end and thought it was interesting that sometimes the simple rules are the ones often broken such as wearing safety goggle when dealing with substances."
- "There is a lot on the line for mishandled science labs/classrooms. It's good to know that NSTA has a plethora of resources."
- "This seminar was very valuable and gave me a deeper understanding of how to be safer in science labs and when conducting experiments."
A certificate of attendance was deposited into participants' account page for completing the evaluation form at the end of the program.
For more information contact: [email protected]