This interactive web seminar will begin with an overview of safety protocols specific for doing elementary level safer science/STEM classroom/laboratory activities with Dr. Ken Roy, NSTA and NSELA Safety Compliance Advisor/specialist and, Director of Environmental Health & Safety, Glastonbury Public Schools (CT). In addition, Dr. Kevin Doyle of Morris Hills Regional School District, NSTA Safety Advisory Board Chairperson will also be presenting.
Critical related topics for science/STEM pre-service elementary teachers addressed include legal safety standards and better professional safety practices, engineering controls, standard operating procedures, personal protective equipment, duty or standard of care and more. Time permitting, individual questions will be answered by the presenters near the end of the program.
All individuals receive a certificate of participation and 100 NSTA activity points for attending the live seminar and completing the end-of-program survey. A certificate of participation is not awarded for watching the recorded version of the program.
This web seminar is hosted for and by the National Chapter for Preservice Teachers at NSTA. We invite you to register for upcoming web seminars at NSTA.
View the Archive Video
To view the presentation slides from the web seminar and related resources, visit the resource collection.
Continue discussing this topic in the community forums.
Below are comments from individuals who attended the seminar:
- "As a future science teacher, this seminar was very helpful to me as we spoke about safety protocols and how to handle materials. It also helped me think on how to teach students of the importance of science safety ."
- "Both presenters were extremely knowledgeable about this subject. They provided comprehensive information for safety with no "if, and, or but". Great clear advice to keep the kids and the teacher safe."
- "I appreciated seeing my preservice candidates attend the seminar. Getting a certificate is extremely valuable for their teaching portfolio and overall professional development."
- "It really talked about the safety rules and how we as educators can have a safe classroom environment with our students."
- "While I know that safety goggles and aprons were important, there are many other safety procedures that I did not know before this presentation."
A certificate of attendance was deposited into participants' account page for completing the evaluation form at the end of the program.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org