Forums

Forums / Research in Science Education / Teachers as Researchers

Research in Science Education

Teachers as Researchers

Author Post
Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

In one of my posts I had commented that I believe teachers who have a field work or research experience are better equipped to implement inquiry activities into their classroom. I am amazed at the number of experiences available for teachers. I actually just returned from an Earthwatch Expedition (I had received a grant from NEA) where I assisted a scientist in collecting and rearing caterpillars. Since I was there while school was in session I had an opportunity to send daily videos and keep a blog; it was a great way to impact students outside my classroom and get them to understand scientific research. Maybe we can make a list of potential research opportunities? If anyone has experience with a research project perhaps they can give an overview of the project conditions and explain how teachers can apply.

Angie Fairweather Angelika Fairweather 12180 Points

Patricia,
What a fantastic idea to generate a list of field research experiences available to teachers! I can't think of a better way to get excited about your curriculum than participating in a field experience.
NOAA has a teacher at sea program that allows teachers to give their sea legs a try. The teachers sign-up for a cruise (working cruise) and get to spend a leg aboard one of the NOAA vessels performing research hand-in-hand with scientist. The ships work everywhere from the poles to the equator. I worked on the NOAA Ship RAINIER in Alaska and it was amazing, both the science and the landscape. The URL is NOAA's Teacher at sea.
I can't wait to read some of the other research opportunities available!
Thank You,
Angie

LeRoy Attles LeRoy Attles 56535 Points

Where can I go to get information about teacher research opportunities. I would love to get involved in it

Lara Smetana Lara Smetana 6260 Points

Patricia suggested: Maybe we can make a list of potential research opportunities? If anyone has experience with a research project perhaps they can give an overview of the project conditions and explain how teachers can apply. Research Experience for Teachers [RET] programs offer teachers the opportunity to engage in authentic inquiry alongside scientists. In doing so, there is the potential to reflect on both teaching and learning. The intent is not only to deepen teachers' understanding of science content and practices, but also to bring those understandings back to the classroom. Although the success of that transfer has been debated (Blanchard, Southerland & Granger, 2008), it is widely agreed that well-designed programs can be highly beneficial. I am most familiar with one nearby me in New Haven, CT. Yale/Southern CT State's Center for Research on Interface Structures and Phenomena ( https://www.southernct.edu/crisp/index.php/RET_Program '' target="_blank"> https://www.southernct.edu/crisp/index.php/RET_Program ' target="_blank"> https://www.southernct.edu/crisp/index.php/RET_Program " target="_blank">CRISP ) involves teachers in cutting edge materials science research. Participating teachers work on teams with faculty, graduate students and post-docs, undergraduates and high school students. Many research departments at universities across the country offer similar programs, so be sure to check out the offerings near you!

Here is another Teachers as Researchers opportunity: http://stem.discoveryeducation.com/index.cfm?event=showSTEMApplication Siemens actually sponsors both a Teachers as Researchers program and a STEM Academy. I attended the STEM Academy last year; it was wonderful. The staff from Discovery Education ran the workshops; what an enthusiastic and energetic bunch of people! Don't let the application process for any program intimidate you...if you don't apply you won't get in!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Patty,
It is so timely that you mentioned your participation in the Seimens Educator program. I just posted information about the Seimens STEM webinars on the STEM careers discussion thread. I participated in the webinar last week and was very impressed with the information participating teachers shared. Please let us know if you will be one of those educators presenting in the near future (or that already have). My preservice teachers said that last week's webinar was one of the most informative they had seen about STEM careers and STEM education. They were all excited after viewing it.

LeRoy asks, 'Where can I go to get information about teacher research opportunities. I would love to get involved in it.'
Hi LeRoy, I just read an interesting article that gives some suggestions for how to get involved in your own classroom 'active research'. The article isPerspectives: Research & Tips to Support Science Education from the September 2007 issue of Science and Children. I think the article is a good resource because it gives examples of research some classroom teachers have done and contains a list of book resources on the topic. Along with others' tips, I hope this helps.
Carolyn

Michael Rumpf Michael Rumpf 335 Points

I am one of Carolyn Mohr's preservice teaching students that participated in the STEM webinar and she is right, it was fascinating. I have also been involved in research in my career at the Gatorade Sports Science Institute. I have been both a human subject and an assistant to the scientists for various studies involving exercise science. I really feel my experience is going to go a long way towards my teaching career because I have walked the walk. I will be able to give students my first hand accounts when they ask the inevitable question: "Why are we doing this and when will we use this?" I feel every teacher that can should be involved in a research project of some sort. It is an experience that you can value for a life time.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Michael wrote, 'I have been both a human subject and an assistant to the scientists for various studies involving exercise science. I really feel my experience is going to go a long way towards my teaching career because I have walked the walk. I will be able to give students my first hand accounts when they ask the inevitable question: 'Why are we doing this and when will we use this?' I feel every teacher that can should be involved in a research project of some sort. It is an experience that you can value for a life time.'

Hi Michael,
I couldn't agree with you more. When I was an undergraduate, I had the privilege of working as a lab technician while I earned my degree. Actually, experiencing how scientists do their work really shapes how you teach. It gives you a deeper understanding of how scientific understanding happens and the nature of science. One of the best articles in the Learning Center that I have found that shows how we can teach our students this process is found here.

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

Another thing that research participation brings to the class is a better understanding of "the scientific method." As a working geologist, the formal structure is pretty academic. My approach to teaching science is encourage the development of questioning and experimental design skills. The scientific process is primary; unfortunately, most of the time, we test the content knowledge. Anyway, back to the original question. I love to see teachers doing research as well, and often there are opportunities to participate in large-scale citizen science efforts. In the midwest, the International Crane Foundation has an annual count of sandhill cranes. We have opportunities to work with other researchers, and obtain raw and processed data, along with research summaries. I know it is not the same as working in a lab, but it is a great way to get a feel for large-scale field research. Many of these projects exist around the country and the world. Universities frequently offer not only independent studies which would allow teachers to gain experience in a discipline in which they have an interest. Oftentimes, faculty will consider taking on a "helping hand" to do some of the work, with an analytical reflection at the end. Consider community colleges as well; these are typically underfunded and faculty tend to be a little more enthusiastic about the help. I know that my experience in the "real world" has provided me a very different perspective. The fact that teachers have done field work does lend legitimacy to our roles as teachers as well.

John Randolph John Randolph 300 Points

I am also one of Carolyn Mohr’s preservice teaching students and do have some experience in providing research information to engineers in the automotive field which, I hope, will somehow translate into the classroom at some point. During my time with Mercedes Benz I was given the opportunity to work with engineers in the final design phase of a new chassis where we would gather data from various systems in the vehicle (engine, suspension, chassis, networking, etc.) and make final raw data adjustments where needed. I was also part of a group that helped design a new technician introductory course for all new hires. We were mainly information givers rather than designers but the experience was still worth it. I hope to use my experience in the automotive field to demonstrate to the students just one small area where science is used continuously; from friction, centripetal forces, and mass in motion to chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and thermo dynamics.

Here are a few more Earthwatch expeditions allows you to work with scientists. They offer summer fellowships [url=http://teacheratsea.noaa.gov/] Teacher at Sea Program where you can work on a NOAA vessel for several weeks [/url] Another option is to take field courses such as the ones at Michigan TEch College of the Atlantic and Center for Ocean Sciences So many great choices!

Wendy Ruchti Wendy Ruchti 24875 Points

I would second the posts about checking with a local university. Often on their websites, faculty will list their current research. Find research that looks interesting, contact them and express an interest in working with them. Many researchers have funding available for research assistants, or you might be able to do it for credit. It may not be as glamorous as working with a formal program, but it is certainly a wonderful learning experience.

While looking for resources on 'teachers as researchers' in the Learning Center, I came across a book chapter entitled: Becoming a Teacher Researcher - Giving Space, Finding Space. Something that I wanted to ask all of you has to do with this statement from the chapter:
NSTA Teacher Researcher Day
The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) has sponsored Teacher
Researcher Day for the past several years during their annual conference.

Has anyone participated in this event at an NSTA conference? I am going to the New Orleans conference next month and would be interested in finding out if it will be a place to discover how to get plugged into an active research project to improve teaching and learning.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Brandy Stewart Brandy Stewart 7755 Points

This is actually my wish for the next few years. I'd LOVE to work with some kind of field research for NASA's lesson plans or something like that being that Astrophysics is my Master's. However, I have no idea where to even start if I wanted to accomplish this. Anyone ever heard of such programs?

Guillermo Alleyne Guillermo Alleyne 865 Points

Hi Patricia, If this was an how to do it book, what are the steps and the benefits for seeking this extraordinary experince that you received from this trip?

Hi Guillermo, What a great question! There are many teacher-researcher opportunities available; try looking at NSTA reports for summer opportunities. You will be surprised by the variety of experiences you can pick from, many of which come with a stipend. My suggestion is to narrow down the experiences to those that you find intriguing or will be instrumental to your classroom. Make sure that when you fill out the application that you carefully craft your answers and make sure that they are grammatically correct. Think about how the research experience will benefit you as a professional and how you will be able to implement what you learn into your teaching. Submit the application in a timely manner. If you do not get chosen, ask what you could have done to make the application stronger. If you live near a university, see if you can make a connection with one of the professors who teaches in a field that interests you. Although they may not have an official advertized position, they may be willing to take you on in their lab. When working, jot down ideas for implementation in the classroom. Think about how you can adapt lab protocols for your students and/or create products (power points, videos, etc) that you can utilize in your classes. Maintain the relationship you have with the researcher; perhaps you can arrange a skype session during the school year where the researcher can explain their research interests. I always like to plan my summers well in advance; start looking now for an opportunity that will enable you to bring real-world science into your classroom!

Hillary Mason Hillary Mason 540 Points

I went on an Earthwatch expedition to study coastal ecology in the Bahamas....it was amazing - 2 weeks of amazing research/field experience in an amazing place. I met some awesome teachers too. It was after my 3rd year of teaching in the summer and the trip really revived me and made me want to do more hands-on activities with my students! Mason

That sounds amazing, Hillary. Can you share with us the process you went through to find out about the opportunity, apply for it, etc.? Was it a highly competitive process? What other opportunities have you come across? Thanks for much for sharing. (I noticed that you ended your post with your last name. Do you prefer to be called Mason?)

Hillary Mason Hillary Mason 540 Points

Sure- I applied on the Earthwatch website, educator opportunities: http://www.earthwatch.org/aboutus/education/edopp/ You have to fill out an application and write a few mini essays. I believe it is highly competitive, but worth a shot....it took me a focused weekend to fill out and complete essays. Definitely worth trying for, as the fellowship pays for almost everything. Mason

Speaking of teachers as researchers, Susanne Hokkanen has posted her master's in science thesis on the 5 Es and student achievement, interest, etc. It is an outstanding research effort on her part. Kudos to you, Sue! I found it at the Indianapolis Conference page. Just type her last name into the search engine for finding sessions at the conference. She downloaded it to go along with her Saturday workshop presentation. I hope to see some of you there! Carolyn

I just picked up some information about the American Wilderness School while at Indianapolis last week. They have scholarships available (although you have to pay for your flight). Looks like a great program where you are immersed in topics such as archery, shooting sports, outdoor survival, field trips to various places, and even a whitewater rafting trip. If you are interested contact them for more information.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers