Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / everyday ideas

Professional Learning

everyday ideas

Author Post
Lennart Winter Lennart Winter 240 Points

Hi fellows,

I´m a education student in germany and have an internship in a middle school in Iowa. I wanted to ask you to what extent are everyday ideas included in the lessons? How you deal with these ideas and how do you survey (how do you find them out) them?

Best regards!

Deena Gould Deena Gould 5310 Points

Welcome to the profession, Lennart!  Glad you are choosing to be a teacher.

What a great question about how everyday ideas are included in lessons. I look foward to hearing the replies in this forum!

I think it is important to solicit students' own everyday ideas about the science phenomenon of your lesson at the very beginning of a lesson, the onset, and also throughout. That means providing a brief prompt (such as a picture, video clip, happening, object, wondering, etc.) at the beginning that gets the students thinking about their own everyday experiences and their everyday ideas related to the science phenomenon. Those are community-based and culturally related to the students' backgrounds that you get to know as their teacher. Often teachers start a lesson with something that has a lot of pizzazz or whizz bang, but it doesn't get the students to think about, and talk about, their own background experiences, ideas, and wonderings. Instead it leaves them in awe. Or teachers start with a direct teaching video that they think will engage the studnet.  I have found that it is better to get the students to think about, and talk about, their own everyday ideas. Then they are able to build upon their own experiences to develop understandings through your lesson. I sometimes have students make a labeled sketch or a model of how the phenomenon works so I see their everyday ideas at the onset. As you solicit studnets' everyday ideas, you are able to formatively preassess their ideas and understanding and have teacher knowledge about how to build upon that in your lesson. You can also collect artifacts to see how those everyday ideas change, or don't change, over your lesson(s).

Maria Gonzalez Maria Gonzalez 490 Points

Hello deena, this information is so helpful, especially for someone who will be starting as a new teacher and doesn't have a clue of how to start her classroom with inclusion. I think that engaging and having the students think and talk about their ideas will help us understand them and create activities with their ideas to make sure they feel heard. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers