Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Periodic Table Assignments

Chemistry

Periodic Table Assignments

Author Post
Lauren Eltringham Lauren Eltringham 1130 Points

Hi All, Does anybody have any projects or assignments you typically use when teaching students about the periodic table. I need something that can either show growth over time or "mastery" of the content. Any help you can give is much appreciated!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Lauren,
Can you let us know if you teach middle or high school? I had my students in eighth grade complete a 'Periodic Table of Anything' project. They had to design a periodic table of a topic that interested them (baseball, nail polish, movies, etc.) where the rows and columns followed similar rules to the Periodic Table of Elements in that the placement of each 'element' made sense left to right and up and down. They also had to create an element 'Key' and for all 20 + elements in their periodic table, the key had to be filled out on their periodic tables.
This showed mastery of understanding about how/why the periodic table of elements is arranged the way it is. My students loved this project and showed much creativity as well as understanding!
Also, you might try this site: http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00000939/problem-based-practical-activities#!cmpid=CMP00001325
for ideas on projects Learn Chemistry

Hope this helps.
Carolyn

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Some time ago I downloaded some stuff that might be useful. Please see attached

Attachments

Some time ago I downloaded some stuff that might be useful. Please see attached

Naomi Beverly Naomi Beverly 19130 Points

Lauren-

Tons of stuff here:
Periodic Table Resources

All the best,

Naomi Beverly

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers