Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Technology when its good an when its bad

General Science and Teaching

Technology when its good an when its bad

Author Post
Brigid Trimble Brigid Trimble 110 Points

Our very large school district (k-12), is going through science curriculum change and technology update. We are currently focusing on 6-12 grades. I was wondering if anyone has a must have -vs-don't bother with technology wish list. We are basically working from scratch, with some schools working with a single computer with a TV monitor mounted to the wall in the classroom. (Large TV monitors are dying). What should the ideal science classroom have? What complications can we expect.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Brigid,
There is a thread called Technology Wish List that you might want to read. Several thread posters have mentioned what they think are 'must haves' in technology.
If you type in technology in the Search Community/people spot just below the Community Forums headings/titles, you will see other discussion threads that mention technology, as well.
I am sure others will give you ideas of what to avoid as well.
Carolyn

Brigid asked, "What should the ideal science classroom have? What complications can we expect." I was giving this some more thought, Brigid, and one thing that I remembered from when our district got on the whiteboard kick, was that some teachers received whiteboards before they were trained in how to use them. Without proper inservicing, many technological tools will be left untouched! Also, the workshops and/or training should be ongoing. One initial presentation of a new technological tool will not ensure appropriate and increased use within the classroom. The budget should include professional development for your teachers.

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

I'd like to second what Carolyn posted above. And it should be ongoing professional development...lather, rinse, repeat. For teachers who aren't tech savvy, this is the best way to reach them and get them comfortable with using technology in their classrooms. If we don't take time to do that, like Carolyn said, the new technology will sit untouched.

Congrats on the new technology!
Kendra

Terry Farley Terry Farley 2530 Points

I am only a student teacher, but I have learned to use a Smart Board. This is a wonderful tool that every classroom should have.

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

While it’s really easy to consider technology a toy because it’s so much fun to use, I always try to ask myself the question, “What learning will the student gain from using this technology?” If the only answer I can come up with is “It will be fun”, then I am using technology as a toy. If however, I am able to enhance student learning beyond what they would have without the technology, I have a tool. I have to admit, oftentimes there is a very fine line sometimes between using technology that hooks a student into being a lifelong learner and that which is a “flash in the pan.” What it really comes down to is, what are you not only comfortable using, but also willing to spend the time to become proficient using the tool. The tool has to be an extension of who I am as a teacher as well as an extension of my students as learners. While students don’t mind helping teachers learn technology, they get irritated with teachers that don’t practice with the tool on their own to gain proficiency. We expect our students to “practice” the skills we give them, and we need to be respectful of the student who takes the time to help us learn the technology. I really appreciate Carolyn and Kendra’s comments about training and the need for it to be ongoing. As with anything else, the first time you use something you are just in survival mode. You are trying to figure out how to turn it on, make it run without crashing, and find a way to use what you learned. What I love the most about technology now is the exponential growth in what it can do. Half of the time I think I don’t even get something out of the box before there is a new model available. So often I wish we could find a network of like minded folk, or form a Professional Learning Community, (PLC), to help push each other forward and learning more of the capabilities of the tool. While the interest is there, the time to pursue the desire often is not. Thank you to Terry for taking the time to post in this forum and share that you like the Smart Board. I would love to hear how you used the technology with your students. I think it’s really important to listen to the new teachers coming into the system and what you would find useful and how you have seen the technology used. I always learn so much from listening to how others have taken the tool to a whole new level and integrated it in learning.

Brigid, When you asked your original questions last month (What should the ideal science classroom have? What complications can we expect?), did you find any of the ideas or suggestions helpful here? I am sure many of us are wondering if your district has made any decisions yet. Please let us know what new technological tools you may be getting to drive and enhance your instruction and student learning. I think it is really important to purchase the hardware thet is the newest (and has the most memory for computers) over the good deals for older models. An older model just can't hack the new software and demands. It is like having a 1946 black Ford coupe that loses its hubcaps every time the driver hits a little bump in the road. One can spend all of his/her time trying to put rusty hubcaps back on and never get further down the road...

Donald Boonstra Donald Boonstra 8585 Points

I agree that "must have" depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would love to see concrete suggestions on use from some of the previous posters. I taught 9th grade conceptual physics and AP Phys. I used computers and probes as essential part of learning concepts. Real Time Physics was a great resource. I had a computer station for every three students and had motion detectors and force probes. For the AP class I added light probes, sound, etc. The chem and bio teachers in my department used appropriate probes and had numbers of computers adequate to their use (less than mine). Several of the math teachers came to our labs to use discovery labs to develop understanding of math concepts (e.g. Trig teacher came to pays lab to explore harmonic motion using motion detectors.) We decided that whiteboards and discussion/presentation aids were less important than data gathering tools. I would love to know how others are tying technologies to curricular goals.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers