Forums

Forums / Life Science / Alligator blood may cure HIV

Life Science

Alligator blood may cure HIV

Author Post
Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Very interesting news out of Florida's swamps. This has so many authentic curriculum connections I just had to share. Enjoy! http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080407-alligator-blood.html

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

That was very interesting!! Thanks for sharing.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hey Kendra,

What an interesting article! I was intrigued by the MrSA connection as well since antibiotic resistant bacteria are a huge problem. For those wanting to extend their reading beyond the National Geographic article. Look here for newsletter from Louisana ESPCoR about Dr. Merchant's work and here is a list of Dr. Merchant's publications. It appears that much of his most recent work in either in press or submitted so you may have to check back periodically.

Tammy Ramirez Tammy Ramirez 140 Points

Great information. Thank you for sharing.

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Hi Ruth! I was also intrigued by the antibiotic possibilities! Thanks for posting the other research info! Kendra

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Here's a great little video describing the same finding. It is a little more recent (posted 2013). It shows an experiment showing a zone of inhibition of bacteria around the gator blood---pretty cool!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers