Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Phases of the moon Experiment

Early Childhood

Phases of the moon Experiment

Author Post
Ana Suarez Ana Suarez 280 Points

I remember doing an experiment in which we would use the oreo cookies and cut out the white part of the cookie in the different phases of the moon form. This was amazing for me because it helped me in visualizing it and I never forgot that lesson

Riley Preuss Riley Preuss 1380 Points

This is a really good idea to get students interested in the topic of moon phases! It's also a really good visual for students to see and they will be able to eat the activity when they are done! Another good way to show the moon's phases is by having them model the rotation of the sun around the moon. One person will hold a ball, another will hold another ball. One ball does not move and one ball moves around the other ball while another student is holding a flashlight on the ball that's not moving (the earth). It's just another way to make connections and get students involved! 

Mikayla Prusha Mikayla Prusha 1175 Points

This is a great idea! Knowing younger students LOVE cookies, this is a good idea to excite them about the lesson coming up, and they get to play with their food! I helped on a homeschool lesson last week where we worked on the phases of the moon, but we made a little turn wheel where they could rotate the paper and a new phase would come up for them. Together, these could be a fun in class activity with the cookies, and then a little turn wheel to take home. Do you remember how your teacher kept all of the students on track? Do you think the cookies were too distracting for some students or did your teacher figure out a way to work around a lot of the distractions?

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Lynn Hess 12158 Points

Space sparks curiosity in kids. Especially when you can provide a hands-on opportunity for the phases of the moon.
NSTA has a great webinar for ideas for the upcoming solar eclipse. Check it out these resources.

Archive: Safe Solar Eclipse Viewing Techniques and What School Administrators Need to Know, September 14, 2023 | National Science Teaching Association (nsta.org) 

Flordia Batchpan Flordia Batchpan 20 Points

This is a great idea! Knowing younger students LOVE cookies, this is a good idea to excite them about the lesson coming up, and they get to play with their food! I helped on a homeschool lesson last week where we worked on the phases of the moon, but we made a little turn wheel where they could rotate the paper and a new phase would come up for them. Together, with Mouse House these could be a fun in class activity with the cookies, and then a little turn wheel to take home. Do you remember how your teacher kept all of the students on track? Do you think the cookies were too distracting for some students or did your teacher figure out a way to work around a lot of the distractions?

Alisha Kihn Alisha Kihn 20 Points

This is a really good idea to get students interested in the topic of moon phases!Do you think these Run 3 cookies are too distracting for some students or teachers? Has your student found a way to deal with the many distractions?

Roberta Hinojosa Roberta Hinojosa 720 Points

This sounds really interesting to get students engaged in the experiment. As someone who used to get confused with the moon phases back in elementary school, I think this is a great experiment that can help students remember the phases. By cutting the cookies students can get a better grasp of the concept of the moon phases and associate it with this experiment. Also at the end of the day students can take the cookies home which could be exciting for many of them.

Ilianna Infante Ilianna Infante 490 Points

Hello, I am currently studying to become a sped teacher in the middle school level and I love this activity! I personally get confused with learning the phases of the moon so teaching this lesson to students would be a great hands-on idea for them to do. 

Tishana Dixon Tishana Dixon 335 Points

Hello Hello. I thought this was such a brilliant idea to help and engage students of the phases of the moon. Personally, I really loved learning about the moon cycle in middle, even though it confused me on how to visibly see each phase being displayed. Even now, I still can't keep track and am also studying day. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers