Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science APPs for the classroom

Elementary Science

Science APPs for the classroom

Author Post
Laurie Henry Laurie Henry 10 Points

HI! I am now in the process of developing my first science app to be used in the classroom on both iPad and iTouch. It will be an earth science game with different levels for grades 2/3, 4/5 and then middle school and one or two players. It will send a report to the teacher on the success of the student/s playing. My questions to you are: How do you see this app as useful to you in your classroom? Explain please. If you have an iPad or iTouch in use in your classroom, where do you go to find apps? What search terms do you use? How can I let people know it is available once it is in the app store? Thanks so much! Laurie Henry [email protected]

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Laurie, I am not able to help you with your questions, but I do have an idea that might help. Why don't you post a similar request in the STEM Forum. I think this is where the technology people tend to look and you might get more replies that way.

Melody Shaw Melody Shaw 4880 Points

Great idea and best of luck! I try to search for apps first and have them ready. My students are not allowed to look for themselves during our lab time because it will take too much time doing that. I have learned that my students are looking for what is visually appealing. The more visual the better :-)

Saba Polakovic Saba Polakovic 1330 Points

Laurie, I think you have a really great idea going. I sometimes use an iPad in the classroom, most often as a teaching tool and occasionally as a learning tool. I thing these days for an app to be successful with lower elementary kids (I teach 2nd grade) it would have to be some kind of a game with multiple levels of difficulty. My students are in love with the iPad in whatever capacity I use it, even if it's just sitting on my desk with the cover closed, they hover near it as if drawing some energy or insight by being near it. I have found some informative and beautiful science apps though none of them are in a game format. The game-like apps just seem a little low grade to me. The kids love seeing real pictures (as opposed to illustrations), especially of animals and other natural "wonders" so that's one thing I could recommend to you. Also, we're all kind of turned off by cheesy music just looping through out the app experience so perhaps if your app is going to include music there could be an option to turn it off (some apps don't give the user that option). In addition to the App store I've also reviewed apps on: www.appappeal.com www.appbite.com teachercast.net www.teacherswithapps.com I wish you lots of success on this project, we can certainly use a great science app in Lower El.

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Laurie- There is an up=coming web seminar "WoW in School: Video Games as Arenas for Quest-Based Learning". This free web seminar is presented by edWeb on Tuesday: Feb. 19 at 4-5pm Central time. This might be something that would interest you and you might be able to network with others participating in this seminar.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Laurie,

What a great idea! Like several of the teachers who have already responded, my students also love anything that is on the iPad. Games that have different levels that students can achieve as they move through the game are fantastic and tend to be my kiddos favorites. The trick is finding something that's fun to play, but also legitimately corresponds to science content.

I have several places where I typically look for new, innovative apps. One of my favorite places to find out about new science tools for my classroom is right here on the NSTA website. One of the other posters suggested trying to get on board with an upcoming web seminar. That's an outstanding idea! Another option is to write an article for Science and Children that discusses your app and give examples for how it can be used in a typically elementary ed classroom.

Best of luck with your project! It sounds like a great adventure!!

Maureen

Christina Crawley Christina Crawley 1695 Points

Hi Laurie, Best of luck with your app! Please share it with us when you can. An important benefit of an app and the ability to use it on a mobile device (tablet, smartphone) is exactly that: that it's mobile. Some of the best ways of using apps and mobile devices is to go behind the 4 walls of the classroom and bring them to the science, rather than trying to bring it (only) to them. Finding activities that send them on a scavenger hunt or have them measuring light, temperature, etc., outside of the classroom is a huge plus that they will enjoy more. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Angela Cho Angela Cho 1350 Points

Hello! I think that it is a great idea to make a science app for students. Especially this day in age, I think it will make students be more interested and they can have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes students need to get away from pencil and paper and explore more and doing that through technology will be fun for them. It would be nice if the app had a lot of visuals for the students to look at! I would definitely use this app in the classroom once it is made!!!!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Has anyone used google apps All of these are completely free! Google Apps for Education: Communication & Collaboration http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/education/?utm_source=edutopia&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=northam-edu-2013-chromeos-pm-edm-edutopia:70160000000jlssaa4

Tara McKean Tara McKean 215 Points

Best wishes to you and what an awesome idea!

Rayetta Weathers Rayetta Weathers 830 Points

I think it is a great idea. I see teachers in pre k using ipads all the time to help teach the children. Technology is great when used correctly. Good Luck.

Cassandra Braden Cassandra Braden 1005 Points

I think using the iPads in classrooms can be so beneficial. However, one thing I wondered about was how I would make sure kids were doing what I wanted them to be doing with the iPad; not off surfing the web. After some research, I found a link (http://igamemom.com/2013/02/20/how-to-lock-ipad-iphone-screen-so-kids-stay-within-the-app/) that may be helpful. The site demonstrates how a teacher/parent/etc is able to set up guided access which keeps the kid/student/etc in the app and unable to exit unless the password is entered. I posted it because I think it will help behavioral issues and even younger students from accidently exiting programs.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers