Forums

Forums / STEM / Stem in Elementary Classrooms

STEM

Stem in Elementary Classrooms

Author Post
Seana McNally Seana McNally 300 Points

Hello everyone! 

My name is Seana, I am currently in my senior year of studying to become an elementary education teacher. Through my various field observations I was saddened to see the lack of science present in many elementary classrooms. As an educator I would like to introduce my students to STEM at a young age so they develop the opportunity to become acclimated with the topic and hopefully pursue further exploration of STEM in their educational career. I was wondering if anyone has resources or activities I could use in my future classroom to introduce my future students to the world of STEM. Any tips would be helpful, especially for early elementary students.

Celina Rodriguez Celina Rodriguez 190 Points

I have seen the same thing in my student teaching classroom. I have noticed that many schools are barely teaching science related concepts or anything with STEM. I think that it is important to find different ways to include STEM within the classroom. One of the ways that it can be included is to find resources that include lessons on STEM and I think that NSTA has many good resources. 

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Seana,

The NSTA has some great resources for Early childhood science.  Here is a STEM one that you might find interesting.  It is called 'Young Archetects at Play' at: https://www.nsta.org/science-and-children/science-and-children-novemberdecember-2021/young-architects-play-stem

Also, check out the Science and Children journal's monthy feature articles on Early Childhood.  Many of them are called, 'The Early Years' by Peggy Ashbrook.  Here is one example: The Early Years: Virtual and Sensory Experiences at https://www.nsta.org/science-and-children/science-and-children-septemberoctober-2020/virtual-and-sensory-experiences

Best wishes for an exemplary teaching career!

Sincerely,

Prof. Mohr, Dominican University, River Forest, IL

Brianna Otoski Brianna Otoski 1760 Points

Hi Seana!

Something my current cooperating teacher and I have started doing in the classroom is incorporate STEM Friday's! This is a way we can include at least one STEM activity a week (although we want to try to do it more than that) and get the students involved with that. They love it and have recently been asking when the next project we'll do is! We are trying to incorporate these activities in a way where they can be shown everyday, and the hope is that we can make that a reality soon.

Hope this helps!

Maddie Heffner Maddie Heffner 320 Points

I am a student teacher in a second grade placement. Unfortunately I rarely see science done in my classroom. How can I help incorporate science into other lessons for my students? If I can't have lots of time for science during the day I'd like to intgrate it into other subjects.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers