Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Engaging young students in science

Elementary Science

Engaging young students in science

Author Post

Early Childhood and Science.

3-8 years old are curious, they love to touch and explore. My science activites are always hands on to keep them engage in the activities. It's always fun with science, we all get messy in the process. What is your idea to keep science interesting for P-3 students?

Hannah Rumble Hannah Rumble 398 Points

My idea for keeping science interesting for younger kids is to integrate play and exploration as much as possible because that is what they love to do! I also think another way to keep students interested is to get them involved in your lesson by assigning them 'jobs'. For example, in an experiment where students are observing whether objects sink or float, you could have one student be the 'recorder' for the group and write/circle the correct answer, one could be the 'tester' and actually put the objects in the water, and another could be the 'organizer' by keeping all of the materials straightened and ready for the tester. The students could switch jobs regularly that way everyone gets a turn. 

Janet Wong Janet Wong 60 Points

You can use science POEMS to introduce science concepts and vocabulary all throughout the day, one minute at a time. Look at back issues of 'The Poetry of Science,' the monthly column that Sylvia Vardell and I do for SCIENCE & CHILDREN and you'll find lots of poems that you can use (complete with mini-lessons)!

Alexis Reaver Alexis Reaver 530 Points

I love integrating other subjects into lesson plans (ELA in Science and Science in Math, etc.), and I think the best way to keep students engaged and get them engaged is to make learning fun! I think that it is so important to start the lesson strong to gain initial engagement and to really get the students involved. Once you have them drawn in and interested, you want to keep them engaged by giving them some control and really letting them learn in a hands-on manner. With science, there are so many easy and fun ways to integrate hands-on learning so students have fun and learn through their own experiences. In my last placement, we were working on measuring mass, and the students LOVED bringing out the scales. It was a simple way to make the experience hands-on and to let the students have a little fun while learning! We also worked on identifying kinetic and potential energy by doing a relay race game outside. The students were able to better understand and retain the information learned in these lessons because they were memorable experiences that impacted their learning!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers