Forums

Forums / New Teachers / STEM lessons

New Teachers

STEM lessons

Author Post
Amy Kelley Amy Kelley 2420 Points

I have recently created several STEM lessons.  One of the problems that I have with them is timing them correctly with my students.  I always work through the lesson myself and then allow extra time for students as they are completing.  The lessons still end up taking a lot longer than I expect.  I teach math and I love to incorporate other subject areas, but I am trouble timing lessons and keeping them within a specified time frame.  The STEM lessons always go over what I think they will take.  When I plan everyday lessons, I do not have this problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shannon Sommer Shannon Sommer 1470 Points

Amy,

I am following your post because I have the same issue! I am trying to implement STEM components into a 6th grade ELAR classroom and just never seem to have enough time to get through everything. I feel like by the time I teach the necessary Science and Math concepts there is not enough time for them to actively engage in the design process. And if I rush the concepts or just teach one or two elements of a concept to give them enough time for the design, I've really defeated the purpose of the STEM activity and ended up with a very 2 dimensional project. …I am also trying into integrate this into a relative Language Arts concept and between it all I just feel extremely rushed and disorganized.

I am quite interested to see what recommendations you receive and if I receive any information that might be helpful towards answering your question, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Best of luck and thanks for asking the question!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers