Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Water Cycle Activities

Elementary Science

Water Cycle Activities

Author Post
Yanelys Gonzalez yanelys gonzalez 300 Points

I would like to learn about more actitivites that would get students excited and curious about this topic. I have already done the activity where we fill a cup of water halfway and then the other half is topped with shaving cream. After, we get food coloring and watch each drop fall through the shaving cream till it falls down to the water as if it was raining. My students really enjoyed this activity and I would love to learn about more activities that can be as fun as this one on teaching about the water cycle. 

Cyril Pabatao Cyril Pabatao 3430 Points

The activity I am going to talk about is something that will get students curious but not as 'excited'. I had a class draw water on the bottom of the ziplock bag and draw clouds at the top. The students then had to fill the water 1/3 of the way and then put 2 drops of food coloring in. They then hung the ziplock bags on the window with tape and had to observe the water and write down if it was either in evaporation, condensation, precipitation, or collection for each day. 

Anne Marie Wotkyns Anne Marie Wotkyns 649 Points

Water cycle Journey - Students 'become' water molecules and travel to different 'stops' throughout the water cycle. They walk arounnd the room to each stop, and at each stop they roll a die. There is a chart explaining that each number on the die means they go to another stop, or just stay there (they get stuck  in the ocean a lot!) Students record each stop so they can they draw a diagram of where they traveled. Adapted from FOSS Gr. 5 Water Planet kit.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers