Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Blended Learning

General Science and Teaching

Blended Learning

Author Post
Jessica Holman Jessica Holman 2170 Points

In my school, we are using the learning platform Canvas as a conduit for how some instruction will be delivered. Teachers have their classes in the virtual as well as in the physical. I am team teaching with a biology teacher and we have made it our goal to really design a blended learning NGSS classroom. So this goes beyond just introducing students with simulations but delivering content in a myriad of methods. At first, my co-teacher and I were nervous to how students would receive this new method of teaching. Yet to our surprise we seem to have more engagement then they were before. We are seeing more students take ownership of their learning as well as raise their voice in how they are understanding the content.

Our experience has motivated us to share it with other teachers. This has been amazing to reach students on another level. We work with special education population as well as honor students and everyone in between. I know that technology in the classroom is a hot-button topic. I would love to hear more about your experience or at least have a great dialogue about successful ways you have tried to marry NGSS and blended learning. I am excited to hear what you share. 

Anthony Rex Tony Rex 30 Points

Jessica, I am a pre-service teacher and my supervising teacher for student observations does something very similar in his class! He said that it has worked really well for him since he started it, and it's a great way for students to spend the time they need and work at their appropriate pace. The students are able to watch lecture videos, do homework, and take quizzes through their blended learning website. It is a really cool thing because it allows for much more time in class for questions as well as more hands-on learning! I think its an awesome idea and I'd love to hear more about how you incorporate it!

Thanks,

Tony Rex

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Blended learning is a great match for a flipped classroom! This article shares two links to EDUCAUSE reports. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers