Forums

Forums / Life Science / 1st Day of school lab

Life Science

1st Day of school lab

Author Post
Teresa Massey Teresa Massey 150 Points

I am looking for a first day of school lab to hook my biology students. Any ideas?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Try this activity...it is great fun. http://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/saving_sam.html

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Thanks Betty. I have never seen this one before. I think I will have my middle school students make a poster sharing how they colved the problem. Great idea.

Leah Barton leah barton 50 Points

I know it is not a lab but the first day is usually going over the syllabus which is quite boring every period in all classes so I turn it into a scavenger hunt and make teams. Teams have to work together to actually read the syllabus to find the answers to the questions that I hand out. Examples are things like "where is the stapler/trash can/etc" to "what happens if I break a beaker" to "when are assignments due if I am absent". First team to answer all the questions correctly wins a small prize. I usually have 3 pages of 3-5 questions each. Hope that helps also.

Carly Segovia Carly Segovia 1215 Points

Great idea! Thank you for sharing!

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Teresa, Awhile back I gathered some great ideas from resources within the Learning Center and put them into a collection. Please let me share it with you and with other readers of your thread. Thank you for opening this thread. Thinking about opening days is always exciting and students love doing hands-on rather than only discussing class behaviors, rules, and books. Some of these activities are grade specific but they may be adapted or merely used to jog our thinking caps:} ~patty

Charles Cerveny Charles Cerveny 115 Points

You could try having them isolate DNA from their cheek cells using gatorade, dish soap and ice-cold ethanol. Once they get the DNA floating in the ethanol layer you can explain that this is really all they will learn about during the year.

Alexander Cornwell alexander cornwell 1260 Points

Where can you find some elementary aged lab that students can enjoy but also learn something from.

Jenny Hwang Jenny Hwang 4755 Points

I think incorporating literature and fun activities might make the lessons more interesting. I've attached some articles with a list of trade books you can use during your lesson and also a lesson plan that has activities that you might be able to use.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers