Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Staying on topic

Pre-service Teachers

Staying on topic

Author Post
Emma True Emma True 950 Points

Hello Everyone, my name is Emma True. I am a third-year Elementary Education major with K-12 special education endorsements. I am on track to student teach next fall, and I was wondering how am I supposed to stay on track with the curriculum when good academic questions are asked by students that are not particularly related to the material? I feel as though I will be getting off track quite often to explore inquiries (within reason). I want to explore the questions, but also want to stay on track with what I am supposed to be teaching. 

Abeygail Evans Abeygail Evans 1210 Points

Hi Emma, my name is Abey. I am a senior at the University of Delaware and will student teach this spring. I can very much relate to your question, and it was not until recently that I was able to come to a synthesized conclusion of how to tackle it. To start in science we want students to ask and pose scientific questions. For many students posing scientific structured questions is a challenge so in the beginning of the year teaching students the skills to form scientific questions, observations, and arguments to name a few would be my starting point. My pictured next step is in the beginning of a science unit surrounding a phenomenon(like the solar eclipse). I would have an anchor chart or slide that is purposefully for class initial observations and questions of the short observable phenomena. This class chart would work as the initial evidence and questions to reason with in the future exploration of the unit. Having a class record of these initial thoughts allows for you as the teacher to refer back to students' initial thinking, and answer initially posed questions. Thus being a physical display of learning, growth, and change of ideas. In terms of student questions that may not be answered in the unit, possibly having an extra day at the end of the unit to tackle one of the questions would be a fun research activity for students. I also really enjoy the other response idea of a sticky note board for questions. 

I hope this is helpful, and good luck in your final year and students teaching.

Austin Cluck Austin Cluck 1250 Points

Hi Emma! I am also a third year education major, although I am a Mid-level major. I am sure that there will be a lot of questions asked by students that are off topic. It would be easy to dismiss the student and tell them to stay on track. I think this is part of the solution, but we do not want to squash student curiosity. To counterbalance this, perhaps a question board would be beneficient. If you had a board in your class specifically made for students to write a question on a sticky note on it, it would open you up to answer students' questions within the curriculum and keep them engaged. In addition, and maybe more importantly, in the short term it will keep you on task for the current learning objective.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers