Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Elementary Science Experiments

Elementary Science

Elementary Science Experiments

Author Post
Kelly Morris Kelly Morris 290 Points

Hello! I am a student teacher at PSU Harrisburg and I want to become a first grade elementary teacher. When I become a teacher, what types of experiments can I do that are safe, easy and fun to do with the students? For example, what type of experiment ideas can I do with a unit on Plants and Animals or even Weather? I believe students need that hands on element when it comes to science and experiments are the perfect way to make it hands on! 

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Kelly,

The first thing you might want to do is look at NGSS to determine what would be appropriate learning goals.

You could then look for some lessons integrating NGSS on the Web.  You might have to make some slight modifications depending on your specific situation.  Here's one place to look:

https://www.generationgenius.com/trial-d/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ngss%20science%20lessons&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-WRBhCKARIsAAId9FkjE9V8BJ07FhhY6mKLGKzTK-tM_Z57n0PxedAvIcICWdDSkNm9aqgaAq3PEALw_wcB

Does that help?

Matt

Peter Ower Peter Ower 140 Points

Hi Kelly,

Hands on activities are a way to increase engagement and excitement about science. As you search for interesting activities, consider what Matt said in his reply to you: contextualize them within NGSS at a level that is appropriate for the grade level, the phenomenon, and the storyline. A good guide for this are the SEP progressions. These show you the level that is expected and appropriate for each grade band.

Really focus on those SEPs as these are some of the most common practices that scientists use in order to make sense of the world and of the phenomena they observe. Some teachers mistakenly believe that science = experiments. Yet, that is only one small portion of what scientists do. Scientists ask questions, make observations, develop and test models, use math, read and communicate information, etc. Find ways for your students to engage in all these practices as that is what science is about. And as you will discover, there are so many ways to do this!

There are tons of cool things to do with first graders. They are absolutely curious about their world. Give them tons of opportunities to explore, make observations, and ask questions. It's amazing to watch them discover, wonder, and figure out. When they ask questions, help them figure out how to answer those questions using the practices. Sometimes it will be an experiment (e.g. does a steeper hill make a ball roll farther?) sometimes it will be making a model, sometimes it will be reading. Scientists gather information and evidence in a variety of formats. It's all about making sense of our world.

I wish you the best as a 1st grade teacher!

Kelly Morris Kelly Morris 290 Points

All of this great information that I have gained from both replies help greatly! Thank you so much, I appreciate it! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers