Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Formatively Assessment

General Science and Teaching

Formatively Assessment

Author Post
Lillian Muller Lillian Muller 2255 Points

First, I believe that this article is really useful for science teachers because it gives us new ways to embed formative assessment into our lessons. The sequential model was the first discussed and it talked about going from DCI to SEP to CCC. Essentially, you give feedback on each aspect and the feedback on one aspeck and be used to move to the next domain. Personally, I believe that this model would be best because it allows students to move through mini tasks to achieve the bigger goal; I have always found more success doing tasks this way. Additionally, it allows teachers to see if their students are ready to move on or if they need to take more time on certain objectives. The concurrent model was used next and this is where you have a formative assessment for all three aspects within one activity. I do believe that this could be confusing to some students, however, it is also a really good oppurtunity for students to make connects and see how all three aspects work together to solve a problem. Lastly, the embedded model gives tasks aligned with each aspect; these are nested within eachother so the components of each aspect are viewed. I believe this is a good tool as well because it allows for students to understand how prior knowledge can be applicable in future work. While this is very similar to the sequential model, the embedded model places emphasis on using prior knowledge to understand new material. Generally speaking, I really enjoyed this article and I think going through it helped me see how I would use it in my future classroom. I do believe all science teachers, especially new ones, should read this article and see how it could apply to their teaching. 

Michelle Phillips Michelle Phillips 5955 Points

This looks like a really interesting article - do you have the link?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers