Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / NGSS and Science Kits

Next Generation Science Standards

NGSS and Science Kits

Author Post
Brian Goldman Brian Goldman 20 Points

Hello Science Teachers, In Washington State, many teachers use FOSS and STC science kits, among others. These kits have been a foundation for the teaching of science in K-8. However, many of these older kits are not aligned with the NGSS - either in content or grade level. What are districts/states doing out there to make these science kits more NGSS/STEM-like? We don't have the funding to purchase new kits. Are you taking the current kits and adding more STEM/ELA/Math resources? If so, how do you go about doing that? How are you aligning these older kits with the NGSS? Thanks, Brian Goldman, Science Materials Coordinator, ESD 112, Vancouver, WA [email protected]

Kathy Gillespie Kathy Gillespie 2125 Points

I am also teaching in Washington State and have been wondering how I can use FOSS to help with the new standards.

Elizabeth Cooke Elizabeth Cooke 7245 Points

Hello Kathy, The FOSS kits are in the process of being updated to reflect the NGSS standards. In the meantime, I have been compensating by looking at the standards and then borrowing what I need from the kits of other grade levels. For example Kindergarten standards include pushes and pulls. So I introduced and then used the marble runs and surface samples from the second grade kits. Instead of actual marbles, I used ping pong balls and the light weight golf practice balls because they would be easier for the students to grip and manipulate. In a small center, I put a ball on the table and asked the student if it was moving. I explained that it was at rest. Then I had a student to try to hit my ball by rolling a ball towards it. I then asked the students what happened to my ball and asked which direction the balls were moving. I explained that the pushed mine (force) and set it in motion.

Kathryn Kurtz Kathryn Kurtz 2260 Points

Brian, in Anchorage we too have an elementary program based in kits that are now outdated. We began a revision process this year to update the kits with very little money. The money we do have will be needed to pay for the teacher revision teams and for teacher professional development when the new kits are released. So far our teachers have looked at the NGSS DCI's and using the gradeband endpoints, identified which grade level and which kit will expect mastery. This was a bit of a messy process since our our district we are trying to really deepen the science teaching and not just cover everything lightly, there are a lot of DCI's that require time for students to know and understand and our teacher's time is being pulled in directions away from science. In our last team meeting we finalized the initial plan for where things will be taught and where lower grades will introduce ideas and upper grades check for understanding to ensure our program is helping all kids succeed. Our teams are using performance tasks and performance expectations to guide their thinking now as the units begin to develop. We hope to have performance tasks integrated with the ELA and math practices as well as our technology and cultural standards. Everything is taking twice as long as we expect it to, the process is slow. I am excited to hear from others who are using kit based systems and updating them to NGSS without $ to purchase vendor produced materials.

Natalie Coleman Natalie Coleman 1340 Points

We are looking at several programs for resource/materials here in my district. Check out Lakeshore Learning for some K-5 hands on materials.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers