Forums

Forums / Life Science / Secrets of Life MIT MOOC and NSTA web seminars

Life Science

Secrets of Life MIT MOOC and NSTA web seminars

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Great information, Arlene. Thank you.
There is an article (quick read) that gives some history of MOOCs in the March issue of the Journal of College Science Teaching:
Guest Editorial: MOOCs in Your Future
Carolyn

Mary Liu Mary Liu 955 Points

I'm enrolled and the course has been great so far. It has been very interesting to see content I teach being framed in a different way. Also, the deep dives are reminding me of topics I don't necessarily cover in a CP class right now but maybe I could/should. Am excited to be part of the dialog with other teachers about this course!

Jennifer Adams Jennifer Adams 10 Points

I am currently taking this course and love this format and presenters! I told my AP Biology students about it, and some of them are also enrolled. So far it has been a great review of biochemistry with a few new ways of presenting things thrown in, and we are looking forward to each new week with plans to form mini discussion groups along the way. It's going to be a great way to model for my students how much you can learn from an online class as opposed to just "clicking through". I am also looking forward to the web seminars and resources NSTA has to offer starting and sharing ideas with other teachers.

Dorothy Ginnett Dorothy Ginnett 28240 Points

Hi Everyone –

I’m also enrolled in the edX course, Introduction to Biology – The Secrets of Life. I am enjoying it immensely. Also, looking forward to the NSTA web seminars and opportunity to network with other educators.

I’m curious, what are you discovering so far that is new learning for you and what implications does this have for your teaching practice?

The science history connections that Dr. Lander is making in his presentations had some new information for me, and I love integrating history of science into my teaching. I can see bringing some of those topics in to enhance the depth of presentation on biochemistry for my students. (I teach both high school biology and college biology).

I also love the “organizing framework” that Dr. Lander is using and can see it as a wonderful tool to help students interconnect the material that is typical presented in the first units of a biology course. Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology are challenging topics for students and I love how he connects it all to Biological Function.

Dorothy

Hi Jennifer - I love that some of your AP Biology students are enrolled in the edX MOOC and are participating. What a fantastic additional preparation for them for success in the AP Bio test. As you mentioned, it's also great practice in online learning skills for your high school students. Dorothy

Christina Crawley Christina Crawley 1695 Points

I've also registered for the MOOC and am very excited to get working with it as I am one of the few members of the Learning Center who is not a Science major. I'm excited to delve into the content because of the format. As a huge proponent of using technology in learning, the 'rise of the MOOC' is a great opportunity for us all to engage with true experts of the field, while engaging with a new community of learning - whether expert or beginner, student or teacher. While you're working through the MOOC, do take the time to also take note of the way that the content is presented, and why it is that you find it so engaging. Although you may most often be teaching face-to-face with your students, MOOCs are supported by experts in online learning who will be able to share a lot of good presentation and technology tips that you can then adopt in your own teaching. And above all - enjoy!

Martha Griffin Martha Griffin 2140 Points

I am taking the class and am really enjoying it. I lead our district Biology efforts - curriculum, teacher training and district-wide assessments - and this class is proving to be a great boost to my content knowledge. It has been over 30 years since I took freshman Biology in college, and it is a real pleasure to be learning from Dr. Lander and the grad assistants. I like how Dr. Lander is incorporating the nature of science into his teaching. He has such a great way of illustrating concepts - for example, the bonding that makes the cell membrane structure inevitable. Fascinating! Like others here, I loved how he incorporated Buchner's Nobel Prize speech and how he keeps bringing it up as it is relevant in later lectures. Bravo, MIT and NSTA!

Zipporah Miller Zipporah Miller 1045 Points

I am so excited to hear that you took advantage of this awesome opportunity to enhance your professional learning. This course is a great way to stay current in the changes and breakthroughs in biology that way you can share these current examples with your students.

Lisa Marchi Lisa 4385 Points

I love the way the MIT course is presented with chunked lecture/practice questions, lectures connected to science history, how the details of biochemistry are important in understanding functions of molecules and cell structures, deep dives that focus more on narrower concepts. It's been 25 years since I took an introductory level bio course. I don't know if I wasn't taught this way, or if I was just too young to "get it" at the time, but this is not how I remember learning basic biochemistry in my intro bio course. Disparate concepts that have been in separate compartments in my brain have finally connected and make so much more sense!

Zipporah Miller Zipporah Miller 1045 Points

Lisa I agree it is a great course

Imene Ghernati Imene Harrat 2105 Points

I have always been a fan of Eric Lander. His biology courses were available since a while through MIT open course and I used them to inspire me in my teaching. I have started my second week of Secrets of Life and I enjoy it immensely. This is how we should teach biology. Everything is about understanding and why and not about vocabulary and memorization.

Pamela Close Pamela Close 2610 Points

I'm enrolled in the course and have found Eric's lectures mesmerizing. It is also fun to see the young scientists share their research and teaching expertise. I trained as a molecular biologist in the last century and have been in secondary biology education most of the last two decades. I work with amazingly talented young people, some who elect to attend MIT. I joined the class because of my interest in online life science education for lay public enrichment, career preparation for students, as well as professional development for science educators. Also, hearing Eric speak is always a treat. As a new graduate student in the mid-80s during the early days of genomic mapping I attended a seminar given by him and was mesmerized by the possibilities he shared. It solidified my research focus and his enthusiasm remains contagious. My current AP Biology students view his HHMI holiday lectures series each spring and are equally caught up in his excitement for exploring life. I'm expecting to gain a virtual mentoring experience in online science education and hope to access a student's point of view by participating in this adventure. It has been a grand one so far (I even survived the video game experience and made it to level 4.5. Whew!).

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Taking from Arlene's summary above...

Science is casting about.........Science is a social activity .... Science is curious people wanting to find out things . Why did they want to know?......There should be no divisions in the fields of science......

Is this what we, as science educators, have been saying all along? Science isn't just one subject - it's all of them combined. It's what drives us to learn in the first place.

I am thrilled to be a part of this partnership and can't wait to see what they have in store for us next!

Thank you NSTA and MIT!

Kim Forsythe Kim Forsythe 100 Points

From a pedagogical perspective the formative assessments are fascinating. They are carefully prepared to make sure that that are simple not a 'google' question and they are a good reflection of Bloom's digital taxonomy.

I'm curious about what others thought about Foldit. I never needed to think of the object in front of me as a protein. I solved all the required puzzles by simply pushing the buttons the screen told me to push and watching my score. If the score didn't go up, I pushed something else. If I failed, I reset the puzzle and tried pushing another sequence of buttons. I know I could have slowed myself down to really consider what moves to make next and why, but I found the game environment too distracting to do this. All the while I'm thinking about what to do next, my score is changing anyway, and usually not in my favor! I also never really got the hang of manipulating the tools given, so I found it all very frustrating when the protein didn't respond the way I thought the tool should make it respond. I can envision "gamers" really getting into the game, and maybe even truly learning something about proteins along the way if they got to the more challenging puzzles. I'm not sure about non-gamers. Anyone ever used Foldit with students? In what way? How well did it work as a teaching and learning tool?

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Lisa,

You might want to have a look at Pamela Auburn's November 30 post to the Citizen Science thread. It is found here. She posts at 2:33 p.m. and later at 7:29 p.m. about Fold-It so makes sure you scroll down and look at both posts. She talks about Fold-it and gives the url to the program. On the 7:20 post she has an article from the Journal of Chemical Education. The article gives a brief overview of what Fold-It is (which since you are enrolled in the class you know about already). It then discusses some ideas for implementing the game in your curriculum. I found the suggestions helpful. We are done with protein synthesis and protein structure for the year. However, I think I will give the program a try with my students next year....just to see what they think.

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Everyone-I enrolled in the course only to find out that it started earlier than I thought. So I started almost 2 weeks late, now I find I have pneumonia (not bad, but very debilitating). I don't think I will be be able to finish this course, however-reading this post has got me excited again. I think I will just follow your threads and continue with the course at my own speed. I think even a little bit is better than just abandoning it. Thanks for your wonderful dialog!

Melissa Gentry Melissa Gentry 30 Points

I was excited to learn about this particular MOOC and enrolled promptly. Unfortunately, my schedule this semester simply will not allow me to participate. Does anyone know when/if this will be offered again?!?

Mary Liu Mary Liu 955 Points

One thing I have found interesting in the course is that we've been able to deal with pretty complex subjects rather quickly without getting bogged down in the vocabulary. We have dwelt on some details that often get left out of a intro CP Bio course (like chemical properties of all the amino acids) and left out swaths of biology. But I think that is OK. There is a clear narrative to the course, thanks to the coat of arms, and examples that keep it grounded. I wish that I could teach a biology course like this (about these topics Biochem/Genetics)but I don't think the state frameworks would allow it.

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Melissa, There is another MOOC this summer being offered. However, it is more into the Earth & Space Science. But if you are interested: Online Course: Maps and the Geospatial Revolution! https://www.coursera.org/course/maps Learn how advances in geospatial technology and analytical methods have changed how we do everything, and discover how to make maps and analyze geographic patterns using the latest tools. This is a MOOC (Massively Open Online Course) through Penn State University, instructor is Dr Anthony Robinson. It is 5 weeks long and begins on 17 July 2013.

I just finished taking the final for the Secret of Life MOOC. I really enjoyed the course. The technology portion was challenging because at times it didn't work like it should. However, it was a great review on the molecular biology/biochemistry aspect of the course. It was also an enlightening update for me when Dr. Lander described several of the new methods and procedure used in recombinant DNA technology. I liked how Dr. Lander combined elements of genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology to give a big picture view. I also liked how he included the historical aspect of scientific discovery. As a high school teacher, it was wonderful to audit a freshman biology course because it helps me know what is expected of my graduating seniors. I am able to look back at my curriculum and see where I need to tweak my curriculum so I am fully preparing my students for what lies ahead. What did others think of the course? How will you incorporate what you learned into your classes?

For those of you who signed up for the MOOC but were unable to complete it, they plan to offer it again in the fall. Keep your eyes peeled!

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and the fact that I was able to keep up with it despite my busy work schedule! I ditto what Ruth said about the integration of genetics, biochemistry and molecular biology, and the historical context. The content was a great refresher in some respect, and a wealth of new knowledge from what has evolved from the past few years. I am no longer teaching, and now work in professional development, and much of the work I'm doing at the moment is around genetics, so the course has been a great help for me in that respect as well.

My main project right now is providing professional development to accompany a genetics software developed by The Concord Consortium, in Concord, MA. Remember problem set #2 when we used the Virtual Genetics Lab to breed organisms to determine the inheritance mechanism behind the given trait? Geniverse is like that, only with fabulous graphics and fictional drakes. Drakes serve as model organisms for dragon disease, like mice are models for human disease. Although the dragons are fictional, the genes are real- we pulled them from a variety of model organisms (not just mice). You can check out Geniverse at:http://concord.org/activities/geniverse-lab. It's free, and you don't have to set up an account. I hope you find it useful.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Ruth, I agree that the technology was challenging. While I have been traveling without a reliable internet connection, I found I simply could not load some of the more complex applets. One other person confessed to the poke it and see approach to Fold-It. I find this a general problem with the use of interactive technology. It is very easy to loose sight of the pedagogy and poke about until it works. In fact I often retro-engineered the questions only to find that the approach was not generalizable and promptly failed when used for another problem. Hmmm not this make me wonder if the use of technology in this way (from the learner's perspective) might spawn misconceptions. I also found a slight disconnect between the lectures which were strong on the conceptual side and the problems with required close attention to application details. I am not a biologist so the concepts and vocabulary were new to me. I would have liked more vocabulary support. As with so much of science the words sound familiar but their meaning in context is very different. I find in my classes if I do not stop and tell student that this seductively familiar word does not have the same meaning as it does in common speech, they continue to return to the "familiar" definition. It was instructive to have this happen to me in this class. Now I am even MORE aware of this issue. :)

Great comments, Pam! I always enjoy your insights. It is true that once you have "learned the language" of a particular field that you take many things for granted. In high school, I preteach some of the more tricky vocabulary. Students need to be reminded to put the words in context. After much reflection, I decided that the technology issue may be been my problem as a technology immigrant. Younger course takers would be able to use some of the interactives more intuitively. My evidence for that would be my own children. They really liked using the Fold-It program and seemed to know exactly what to do to get the computer to respond to their wishes. I blame their penchant for video games. I loved the virtual fly lab and used it at the end of the year with my biology classes as a review of inheritance. They complained a little at first because they had to change their way of thinking. Their thinking was very ingrained in the theoretical side of modes of inheritance (e.g.--the results of the Punnett square). However, in the end, they loved being able to compare "real" data to the theoretical data because they saw how the theoretical data was developed. I had my students work in lab groups so the more analytical thinkers could help those that were struggling. It worked well with students teaching students. I would step in, guide, and correct as necessary. The interactive that was used to analyze the actual sequence of the gene and compare it to a gene that would have deletions or insertions did cause me pause. I think because it had so much information to process. However, it was such a rich example. With the right explanations and guidance, I would like to have my students play with it. Like the fly data, I think in the end they would walk away with a deeper understanding of the thought processes used to plan and construct recombinant DNA experiments. How have others who have taken the MOOC used any of the material in the courses they are teaching?

I also recently finished taking the final exam for the EdX/MIT MOOC course: Introduction to Biology – The Secret of Life. Wow, what an amazing learning adventure it has been these past few months. Dr. Eric Lander was such an engaging teacher with contagious enthusiasm and passion for science. I loved the emphasis each week on both the history & nature of science and the applications of amazing new science discoveries to society. This made the course so relevant and engaging. The focus was on essential understandings, which made the details and vocabulary more interesting. It was a challenging course and just the ticket to update my content understanding of modern genetics, biochemistry and molecular biology. I am amazed, as Lisa was, that I was able to keep up with the course pace, given my busy teaching schedule. Whew! Gotta love a challenge! Now I have renewed confidence in the currency of my knowledge in this subject matter. This will translate into pedagogy that is current, relevant and can focus on exciting scientific breakthroughs that are changing our world. I agree with Ruth that this course also helps us understand what is expected of our graduating seniors in a freshman college biology course today. This knowledge will help us better prepare our students for college. Great comments, Pam and Ruth, about the pros and cons of interactive technology. Ruth, I think you are absolutely correct that it may be a digital native vs. digital immigrant issue. My 8th grade son (age 14) also participated in the MOOC and he had such ease working with the interactive programs like Foldit and the Virtual Genetics Lab. In fact, after the activities closed, we often discussed these interactive programs. I could tell that he did have an in-depth understanding of the concepts underlying the interactive and he could even teach me some tips about how to work the interactives more efficiently! :-) It was so much fun to discuss complex genetics and biochemistry with my young son and to have a “friendly competition” each week to see how we each would do on the problem-sets and quizzes. Several people mentioned that they had their AB Biology high school students participate in this MOOC. What a fantastic opportunity for them to learn from such an engaging teacher. This should help them be highly motivated for college in their future!

If you did not have a chance to attend the NSTA Pedagogical Implications web seminar series that were associated with the Edx MOOC, I encourage you to view the four web seminar archives for some terrific examples of Instructional Planning Frameworks, Formative Assessments, and discussions of connections to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).

Archive: Introduction to Biology - The Secret of Life: Pedagogical Implications Orientation, March 13, 2013
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9/WSMIT13_Mar13

Archive: Introduction to Biology - The Secret of Life: Pedagogical Implications Discussion 1, March 27, 2013, 8:00 pm Eastern time
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9/WSMIT13_Mar27-3

Archive: Introduction to Biology - The Secret of Life: Pedagogical Implications Discussion 2, April 17, 2013, 8:00 pm Eastern time
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9/WSMIT13_Apr-3

Archive: Introduction to Biology - The Secret of Life: Pedagogical Implications Discussion 3, May 15, 2013, 8:00 pm Eastern time
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9/WSMIT13_May15-3

There is also a wonderful NSTA Resource Collection with many terrific professional development resources:

MITx: Intro to Biology - The Secret of Life Pedagogical Implications Resource Collection

I am really enjoying the conversation about technology. I keep looking for studies that give data on learning outcome when technology interactives are used and when they are not. I have taught online for several years and use a variety of interactive programs and virtual labs. Learning often falls below that of my F2F classes - but these are NOT random samples so this may not mean much. I also think digital native/immigrate categories are very nuanced. I have many students who are whizzes at online gaming but can not produce a graph in excel. More recently, I am dealing with a group who are awesome with their smart phones and struggle with a computer and navigation of the learning management system. So what this may mean is that there are cohort differences in how technology is used. These cohort differences are not merely generational, they are socioeconomic and interest related.

Kim, I have also been following the structure of assessment in this class very closely. As more and more instruction moves on line there is a growing concern about effective assessment. Googleable (is this a word - it will be) answers are a problem. The questions here are indeed a reflection of whether or not you listened to the lecture and digested content. In both the problem sets and the exams I found one needed to develop certain insights. As one who learns more by doing than any other option I would have preferred more space for open "play" with the problems. I also stumbled over vocabulary. The words we use in science sound so like the ones used in everyday speech, but the meanings change. The one that really got tangled was transcription - I was transcribing the code (as in reading it to get the mRNA) from the 5'-3' strand in many of the interactives but the question was asking which strand was being transcribed in the organism. If the language had not sounded so familiar, I would not have made this error. The lesson for me is that one really MUST make vocabulary explicit and the more similar to non scientific language the more one should make it explicit.

In my RSS feeds this morning were two pieces on MOOCS i this one talks about completion rates http://mfeldstein.com/the-most-thorough-summary-to-date-of-mooc-completion-rates/ and this one talks about how MOOCS are changing college. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0602/How-online-learning-is-reinventing-college Note that at MIT Eric Lander's intro biology class is F2F

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

For those of you who missed the course the first time around, or, like me, ran out of hours in the week, you have another opportunity to participate in the MOOC. The course begins September 10 (I know, still not an ideal time for most of you), and runs for 14 weeks.

Link: https://www.edx.org/course/mit/7-00x/introduction-biology-secret-life/1014

Took the Secrets of Life MOOC course this past spring and it was amazing. Highly recommended, but do budget adequate time in your schedule as it is challenging.

There are also 4 NSTA Pedagogical Implications web seminar archives that compliment the Secrets of Life MOOC. Search for Pedagogical Implications in the NSTA Learning Center Library.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers