Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / What to do with Students that Finish Early?

General Science and Teaching

What to do with Students that Finish Early?

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Adah, I was just at a portfolio review for one of our student teachers last night. She was sharing how she had differentiated her instruction in such a way that all students in her class completed activities and assignments at about the same time. By taking into consideration different ability levels ahead of time, each student received specific worksheets, instructions, assignments, etc. designed for his/her needs and abilities. The key was to creating activities that took about the same amount of time for each student to complete by addressing individual abilities. That is a another way to look at time management and to keep students actively engaged in a concept for equivalent amounts of time. I like this on a number of levels. Think of the students who always struggle to finish and are deflated when they are still laboriously working while others are begging for the fun games to play because they were able to finish the same assignment early. Why not make the assignments equally challenging from the beginning so that every student is completing appropriately rigorous work? Kudos to this student teacher! Carolyn

Ann Kennedy Ann Kennedy 1250 Points

This is a good question which I have also contemplated. Carolyn’s suggestion as implemented by a student teacher is a great idea. Ideally, students will complete tasks in the same amount of time while maximizing the outcome according to each student’s ability. Of course, this takes more time and planning, however the benefits for all are significant. We certainly notice at an early age how our pace compares with others, yet we want students to be more focused on personal achievement. Sometimes games or other activities provide a misguided incentive to finish early while also distracting the work of others in progress.

Rocio Garcia Rocio Garcia Rangel 750 Points

I agree with Ann Kennedy, it all has to do with pre-planning. Following the 5E science lesson model, teacher can prepare different extension for students to work on if they finish earlier than expected. I believe that all teachers know the importance of having plan B. Differentiation in a classroom is a powerful skill for teacher to implement in their classroom, because it will greatly benefit the students. Also , it is important to remember that differentiation does not mean lowering the standards for students, or “dumbing down” the lessons. -Rocio

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Rocio said, '...it is important to remember that differentiation does not mean lowering the standards for students, or “dumbing down” the lessons.' What a powerful statement to remember, Rocio. Thank you for including this detail on this discussion thread! All of our students deserve a rigorous, engaging curriculum. There is an excellent article in the NLC (NSTA Learning Center) that addresses this need for teachers to promote a more challenging and rigorous curriculum: Windows into Understanding. I wonder how others are providing rigorous, challenging activities and lessons so that students will not be 'let off the learning hook' just because they finish early.

Douglas DeGennaro Douglas DeGennaro 160 Points

I like to provide students with enrichment activities that are counted as extra credit. These are usually activities which help students make a connection to real world events and scenarios. I find that these questions usually stimulate discussion because it helps students think about the topic from a different perspective. Many text books have real world connection type questions. Text books from previous years are a good source for these because you are unlikely to use them in class otherwise. Doug

Daliz Vasquez Daliz Vasquez 1455 Points

I haven't read the other replies so if I'm repetitive I apologize now. I have differentiated learning weekly tasks for the students. The learning tasks range from math journals, observation journals, writing journals, computer activities, language centers, social studies activities, and of course independent reading and response. This helps the student feel that they are in control of the activities on the sheet. At the end of the week the student receives a star for completing all of the learning activities.

Cheska Robinson Cheska Lorena 5075 Points

Daliz, What grade(s) do you teach? I am curious about your weekly learning tasks. May I see an example? How are they assessed? Cheska

Lorrie Armfield Lorrie Armfield 51438 Points

Greetings All, I have a 'Challenge Yourself' station for scholars who complete assignments early. The station contains A.V.I.D. cards with activities that incorporate both analytical (right-brain) and creative (left-brain) thinking and planning. For example, one activity is an Acrostic Poem, in which the scholars have to choose from five essential science terms, and create an acrostic poem for that term. The scholar must also create an illustration that goes along with the poem, and write two paragraphs to explain how the sentences and illustration work synergistically to explain the science term. The scholars are aware that if they select an activity to complete, it must be in their 'challenge area' according to the learning style inventory or multiple intelligence survey they completed at the beginning of the school year. For example, if a scholar is challenge by logical mathematical activities, then when he/she selects an activity from the station to complete, it should be an activity that integrates mathematics and requires active reasoning and problem-solving skills. LA

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

I often have extension labs available for students that complete the initial lab work and write up. The write up has to be checked by me before I allow them to move to the extension. The extension labs are those the student can choose that will extend their understanding of a concept. I try whenever possible to have 3 or 4 options available that the student can choose from. For example, if the initial lab is for my middle school students to create a battery holder, switch and a light bulb holder that will all work in tandem, extension labs would be for them use a digital voltage meter to measure the amount of energy being produced; light a series of six Christmas bulbs that have been cut into single bulbs with wires; determine if the number of batteries in series produces more energy every time a battery is added … The list is endless. The key for success is to make sure whatever I do for an extension doesn’t require so much extra equipment that I spend all of my time managing equipment instead of engaging with students. The really “cool” part of extensions is, after I have provided one or two, the students often come up with their own that they have to present to me in question formal along with a list of materials that I can “approve” or “improve”. I always want students to be able to test their own ideas, I just need to make sure it is safe and that I have the equipment for them to do it.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers