Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Formative Assessment

Evaluation and Assessment

Formative Assessment

Author Post
DonNequa Hillyard DonNequa Hillyard 135 Points

Formative assessment refers to the ongoing evaluation and feedback process used by educators to monitor student learning progress and understanding during the instructional process. Its primary purpose is to provide feedback to both teachers and students, allowing them to adjust teaching and learning strategies to meet the needs of the students effectively. 

Formative assessment in science is “a continuous, systematic process of collecting evidence about students’ thinking and progress toward a learning goal for the purpose of informing instruction and providing feedback to the student while simultaneously promoting conceptual learning” (Keeley 2016, p. 6). Formative assessment is not just about gathering information about students and using it to make instructional decisions. There is a metacognitive aspect to formative assessment that encourages students to think about their thinking. Furthermore, it supports students in accepting that their ideas may change as they progress in their learning. For this reason, formative assessment builds confidence in students that they can be successful in learning science (Keeley, 2016).  

Formative assessment comes in multiple forms. Classroom assessment often involves a formal paper-and-pencil approach. One of the best ways to collect information about students’ thinking is by formally or informally listening to students when they are “talking science.” Conversations can be between teacher and student, student to student, small-group talk, or whole-class discussions. Digital technologies can be used to capture both written and spoken
ideas. Whether written or spoken, the approach used needs to provide information to help the teacher determine next steps for instruction. Some other ways formative assessments can be shown inside of the classroom is by doing exit tickets at the end of the school day or the end of a lesson. This quick assessment will provide insight into your students' comprehension about the material. Another type of formative assessment can be utilizing interactive whiteboards, we as educators can create activities that allow students to actively participate in the learning process. These activities can include drag-and-drop exercises, matching games, or interactive quizzes. Lastly, some others would be homework assignments, peer assessments and quizzes/short tests. These are all examples of way to incorporate formative assessments in the classroom. 

As I ask myself a general question, 'How do formative assessments contribute to enhancing student learning and informing instructional practices in the classroom?' As I continue to gain knowledge, do research and incorporate it into my classroom, I will be able to answer my own question.

References

Keeley, P. (2019). Formative assessment in the science classroom: What it is and what it is not. Science & Children, 56(9), 8-9.

Regina Ciphrah Regina Ciphrah 1819 Points

Your post offers a thorough exploration of formative assessment, emphasizing its role in monitoring student progress and shaping instructional strategies. It's great that you're considering diverse methods, from classroom conversations to digital tools, to engage students actively in their learning. This reflective approach, questioning how formative assessments can further enhance learning and teaching, is key to professional growth. Keep exploring and integrating new strategies into your practice.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers