Forums

Earth and Space Science

what if

Author Post
Andrea Medrano Andrea Medrano 1075 Points

As I am already planning for next year, a what if question came up in my mind and if I could get some feedback please. In Hawaii we teach Astronomy in 4th quarter. What if I began the year with astronomy and then went into the geological processes and then aquatic science, energy, into weather and climate? The logic behind my thinking is that the processes to the planet formation can be brought back to home, and the state assessment has quite a bit on the topic. And by flipping 4th and 2nd quarter I can get a better weather outcome for solar ovens. I do not believe that I have to go in any special order, but does what I am thinking about make sense? TIA Andrea

Juliet Kim Juliet Kim 2340 Points

Hi Andrea. I'm assuming that you're referring to the HCPS III Benchmark Maps that our classroom curriculum should follow when you say that astronomy is taught in the fourth quarter. I was just made aware of the fact that I should be following the benchmark maps because it will ensure that students who move schools during the school year will not miss instruction of any benchmarks. I do not know if there are any other reasons I should follow the benchmark maps, but this was the main reason I was told I should follow benchmark maps. Before I was made aware that I should be following Benchmark Maps, I was trying to match and teach science topics as they correlated with our reading units. I think your logic makes sense. I feel that the most important thing to keep in mind is student learning and achievement but I do understand the importance of following benchmark maps. I would love to hear other teacher's opinions about this issue.

Yes, I am aware that we are to follow the quarter maps. But I was thinking the logical way

Angelo Laskowsky Angelo Laskowsky 2190 Points

The teachers at my school tried that this year. It was... a challenge to say the least. The benchmark maps set things from a very concrete example (rocks, the earth) to something very abstract. This fits with their brain's development as well. A lot of them really can't grasp the infinite of space. They're interested, they want to see and learn. But, they really can't grasp more than just facts. They'll have a hard time applying and generalizing the concepts. This is because their brains are still focused on concrete examples, and most of space is abstract. Even demos and simulations on a computer don't really bring things to as concrete an example as they're likely to need.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Andrea, I like your logical thinking that would lead students in a progressive manner. But if your school district has a set order because of students moving in and out, I would think that for your own safety (in regard to the administration) it would be best to follow their mandates. Unfortunately in education, sometimes (or frequently) the administration does not follow logic.

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

Arlene, I really like the concept of powers of ten as an organizing theme in earth science! This really could help cement a mathematical concept that younger students have such a difficult time with. Thanks for the idea!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

I love the Powers of 10 video. I can't believe it has been around since 1977. Here is the YouTube link: Powers of10
It is still one of my favorites!
Also, have you seen the 'Scale of Everything'?
Carolyn

Yes, I have the powers of ten, my students seem to think it was a little dated with the guy at navy pier. I love it. My thoughts are that at the 8th grade students change quite a lot from the beginning of the year to now. I am not sure if they are able to grasp the vastness of space any better now than they would have been at the beginning of the term, but next year I can start and help them stretch earlier. If we are always waiting until the state allows us to teach in a specific order there is no guarantee that would work better for the students. We are going to have the new standards soon and it will be a broader scope and with any planning a logical sequence. Thanks to all who ponder with me, 4 weeks will fly by like in the powers of ten! Aloha Andrea

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers