Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Limited Science Time

General Science and Teaching

Limited Science Time

Author Post
Mara Herning Mara Herning 740 Points

I am a preservice teacher and have been doing observations within public schools. These schools do not have Science as a separate subject, but as a part of Reading. For example they are doing a unit on the human body but it is all about reading and writing. I have read that the push for test scores has pushed curriculum such as I have described. What can we do as teachers to basically sneak Science in?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

You bring up such a good point, Mara! You asked, 'I have read that the push for test scores has pushed curriculum such as I have described. What can we do as teachers to basically sneak Science in?'
The New Common Core Literacy Standards for Science should help. Also, we can be proactive and share all the exciting curricular materials already available to teach literacy skills (reading, writing, mathematics, vocabulary, etc.) using science content as the vehicle. For example, FOSS has a great Human Body kit that makes learning about the body engaging and integrates vocabulary, reading, writing literacy strategies throughout.
What are others' thoughts on this?
Carolyn

Ann Allison Cooke Allison Cooke 6550 Points

Even the CCSS are all about reading and writing—albeit great ideas in reading and writing. Elementary science could also be "squeezed in" through math: measure things, compare them, graph them; ask a question that has to be answered with numeric measurements. . . Through Phys Ed: heartbeats while exercising, "do you jump higher while throwing your arms up at the same time, or by just jumping straight up?", "Why does the basketball bounce higher on the gym floor than on the grass outside?", Number of jumping jacks you can do in the morning vs afternoon, . . . It has got to be difficult, as usual, but possible. Great question. I got to think about this. Thanks.

I will have a look at those resources. Thanks!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi again, Mara. I came across one particular article that I think you will find very helpful.
It is called Capitalizing on Literacy Connections.
The article asks the question, 'We know literacy is a critical component of science inquiry, so why can't educators meaningfully incorporate literacy skills in school science programs?'
I think it is an article that could be placed in the hands of your administrators and fellow teachers. Those who take the time to read it will certainly be less likely to 'slough off science'.

Thank you!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers