Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Movement of matter in an ecosystem

Elementary Science

Movement of matter in an ecosystem

Author Post
Ashlee Beggs Ashlee Beggs 480 Points

Are there any fun and engaging activities to teach the movement of matter in an ecosystem to elementary students?

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Ashlee,

Here are a few resources that I found that might be useful:
-Ecosystem Exploration
- Energy and Matter in Ecosystems
- Notebook Foldables Life Science: Cells, Interdependence, Flow of Matter and Energy, Biodiversity by Dinah Zike (ISBN: 978-1-882796-59-5) also has some fantastic foldable resources for Flow of Matter. I purchased my copy at the NSTA regional conference in Atlanta last year.
- Dinah Zike's Big Book of Science (ISBN: 1-882796-18-7) also has several engaging foldables related to ecosystems.

I look forward to seeing the resources and activities that other educators share!

Maureen

Ashlee Beggs Ashlee Beggs 480 Points

Thank you for these resources! I checked them out and they had some great ideas. I appreciate you giving me these websites.

Katrina Adams Katrina Adams 295 Points

Wow, I'm glad I stumbled onto your post Ashlee, because my first probe and lesson was about plants and the basic things they need to survive with emphasis on the sun and water and their importance in the movement of energy... I loved that first resource link you posted Maureen, I have an idea of where I'd like to go next with my 5th graders, broadening the scope of focus instead of just on plants but rather on the ecosystem.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers