Forums

Forums / STEM / If I was never interested

STEM

If I was never interested

Author Post
Ashley Hunter Ashley Hunter 50 Points

Growing up, I had one science class that I remember liking. My teacher was a female, and I thought the world of her. After then, I was never super into science, mostly because none of my girl friends were either. Growing up, I see the importance in science, but I still am not super interested in it. Since I was never big in science, how can I make sure that my students will be into it?

Michelle Alban Michelle Alban 3095 Points

I was the same way growing up! I loved science and math, and then starting in middle school none of my friends liked science. Especially in high school, I wasn't interested in science anymore. One thing I am learning, as a preservice teacher, is to make sure every student is involved in the lessons. At the older ages, make sure to incorporate hands-on activities and experiments. Even if some of the lessons seem "simple," if they are able to look farther into the activity, then they will still be learning! In elementary school everything is hands-on, and as soon as I went to middle school, we only had one experiment every two weeks. I felt as if the teachers were taking away the questioning from the students. So, I would say the two main ways to encourage students to like science would be to encourage everyone to participate and create as many hands-on activities and experiments as possible. -Michelle

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hi Ashley, I agree with you completely. Sparking a child's interest is key. There are so many ways to do that, and I think I have just the resource for you. I am a professor of science methods a temple university and I have been developing a YouTube channel with hundreds of fun science video demonstrations. They are all common core aligned and can easily be recreated in the classroom. Check it out and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos Best, Dr. George Mehler Ed.D., Temple University

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers