Forums

Elementary Science

STEM

Author Post
Jessica Oviedo Jessica Oviedo 910 Points

Hello everyone! I am currently Student Teaching and I am wondering if there is any advice on how to implement STEM into a a 2nd grade classroom. Thanks -Jessica O.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Jessica, 

One way my colleagues in elementary school like to incorporate STEM through building and design challenges. They pick a problem that is related to what they are studying and then they have their students build something that will solve that problem.  I'm attaching a collection that I created of a few Learning Center resources that might give you some ideas.  

How do other elementary school teachers incorporate STEM in their classrooms?

Elementary STEM Challenges Collection (6 items)
Gloria Ortega Gloria Ortega 445 Points

Hello Jessica, yes you can implement STEM in many ways. One thing I know students love are LEGOS! They love building things. By having them a crate of legos and just letting them explore and create they will love it. Also, you can use technology in your classroom by either using the ipad, chromebooks, or your teacher laptop by having them play games on there like Kahoot (Of course educational). Goodluck!

Caroline Hunkele Caroline Hunkele 1875 Points

Hi Jessica!

I am currently in a science methods course and we had a speaker come in and talk about integrating STEM into the classrooms everyday activities. Her talk was very interesting and one take away I had from it, is that while she met with her small group reading students the other students were allowed to explore STEM materials consturcting and engineering. These students were able to explore and develop understandings about the material and then after their alotted time they would transition onto another center/activity. I thought this was a great way to get student to independently explore STEM concepts. 

Good Luck with student teaching!!

Caroline 

Jessica Oviedo Jessica Oviedo 910 Points

Daniel Price Daniel Price 2260 Points

Hello, I am currently taking a Science Methods class at the University of Northern Iowa. We were just discussing this in class today and we found out that students learn best when they are playing. There is a room at UNI where we were able to explore some of the different STEM play activities and it was really fun and challenging at the same time. We played with tops to see which one spun the best or the most unique. There was a station where you could set up ramps using wooden blocks to make a marble move in certain ways. Lights and shadows was another station that there was. Our instructor told us that in many elementary schools in Iowa, students don't get a chance to explore science every day; however, she said that we could have the stations set up and when students need something to do, then they can be playing with the science centers that you have set up for them. 

Rachel Wagner Rachel Wagner 2115 Points

Hey Daniel! 

I also think it's super important for students to learn about science in an atmosphere that can be fun! When we were playing around with the tops and the blocks it really never occurred to me that students are actually learning when they're playing like that! So so much is learned from personal experience that we should allow time for this personal experience to be made. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers