Forums

Forums / Life Science / Plant/animal Cells Introduction

Life Science

Plant/animal Cells Introduction

Author Post
Elizabeth Cooke Elizabeth Cooke 7245 Points

How would you introduce plant and animal cells to 5th grade students? How would you model cell structure and function beyond creating a pasta or candy diagram for the cells? Any responses are welcome. Elizabeth 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I used the 3-D models and this fun rap: http://www.teachertube.com/video/cells-cells-parts-of-the-cell-rap-248477 If the link doesn't work just google, rap for cells. Now, I'm singing it in my head, cells, cells, they're made of organelles... It helps them know the functions of the parts of the cells. One more thing you can try, paint a layer of clear finger nail polish on the underside of a leaf. I use Ivy but I've heard other leaves work too. Peel off the clear polish after it dries completely and you can see the Stomata and guard cells. 

Joyce Dunning Joyce Dunning 695 Points

What I did this year was to use a couple of microscopes. I put an onion skin on one microscope and something animal based on the other (I happened to have a snake skin to use). Then let the students take turns looking at each and draw a picture of what they see. Ask them to compare the two (of course unless you have a very high powered microscope to look through, they will only see the difference in cell shape). From there you can either ask them to tell what they think each item is or begin a discussion about cell structure.

Elizabeth Cooke Elizabeth Cooke 7245 Points

Hello Joyce, Thank you for your suggestion. I will try this. Elizabeth

Chance Duncan Chance Duncan 90 Points

I would suggest that 5th grade wouldn't be too early to introduce sudents to the concepts that not all cells are either plant or animal. When I was teaching 10th grade biology, I would always ask my students "what types of cells are there?" Inevitably, they would say "Plant and animal." This concept has been beaten into them from an early age, kind of like the idea that theories aren't proven and become laws when they are. So I would suggest starting early with the understanding that life on earth is either prokaryotic (the VAST majority) or eukaryotic. Sure these are big words, but young kids love big words and sounding 'smart.' Once they understand that, then you can help them understand that plant and animal cells are some of the types of eukaryotic cells, but not the only types. As for strategies, I would second what the other person said. Let them investigate real cells, not just artificial models. Pond water is a great investigation too! Lots of unicellular protists to watch swimming around.

Amanda Wolfe Amanda Wolfe 16375 Points

Great suggestions Chance and Joyce! Thank you Elizabeth for posting this request.

The world of cells is incredible. If there is a way to get microscopes in up to their eyes to see real cells that is a great intro. I have always loved exploring the 'worlds with in worlds' of pond water protists. This is how one of my students coined it after plopping a single drop of pond water on a slide and a cover slip and then....'Whoa!!!!'

I still remember the first time I observed pond water protists under the microscope. It changed my perception about the, up till then boring, cell the 'unit of life'. What is amazing about pond water protists is that their cell structures and movement are similar to a lot of the structures and movements that our own body cells have (i.e. white blood cells and amoebas movement through psuedopodia and the cilliated surfaces of paramecium and the cells that line our brachial tubes). If you are running short on microscopes see if you can get 1 or 2 on loan from a local college or even a high school. Most document cameras have a microscope adjustment and you can project the cells on to a screen and have a class discussion. Also Elodea an aquarium plant is fascinating to look at under the microscope the choloroplasts float around and are very clear.

As far as moving beyond the cell models try cell analogies. I have tried and seen some great analogies for cells as a city, cells as a school, cells as a factory. The whole class can set up the room like a single cell or groups can create a city model that shows how the cell functions in a similar way. Here is a sample lesson I came across in a search: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/ss11_034_05_64

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I adore that you give them "big words" that they will learn in middle and high school. As you say, it's never too early to expose them to a richer vocabulary and more in-depth knowledge. We only have once chance with students and we should give them everything we can!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers