Forums

Forums / Life Science / great book to use in class

Life Science

great book to use in class

Author Post
Edward Rock Edward Rock 1335 Points

Has anyone read "Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee and used it in class (HS or college)? It is a great history of cancer; it's biology, treatment, fundraising, politics and a great history of science book?

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

I have not read the book, but it sounds fascinating. Is it a book that a teacher could use as a resource with middle schoolers? I would not have them read it, but could I use the information to enhance my discussion with middle schoolers are cancer and the issues surrounding it?

Edward Rock Edward Rock 1335 Points

The book is certainly a page turner. I was amazed the way the author was able to make it so accessible yet with such significant content density. I would think some excerpts would certainly be appropriate and help students see the interface between pure research science, practical science (medicine), politics, the public, and pure chance. There are also some great annecdotes about research. They would help students clearly see the value of math, understanding research design, and undertsanding how careful you need to be in interpreting your data. Literally some of the annecdotes show that knowing math is a matter of life and death.

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

Thank you for the information. It sounds like a great book that I could use information from to encourage my students in learning experimental design. It would give true application to experimental design and the importance of following the design. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Angie Fairweather Angelika Fairweather 12180 Points

Has anyone used the Science comic book series Max Axiom in their classroom? I work with struggling readers and think the graphical interface may help their comprehension. If anyone has any ideas for graphical novels in the middle school science classroom, please pass them along. Thank You, Angie

Dorian Janney Dorian Janney 10505 Points

I have begun offering writing a comic as one of the presentation modes for my students on certain projects. When creating a "Universal Design for Learning" so that all students can access the curriculum and show their learning, we are trying hard to have a variety of presentation modes for students. I do find that many of my middle school students love to draw comics! I also am interested in comics that emphasis Earth/Space science concepts. any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Hi Angie, Yes, the Max Axiom graphic novels are outstanding. The graphic novel genre for science has really taken off in the last few years. Many libraries now have several book shelves devoted to science graphic novels. For older "kids" - two noteworthy from this genre are: The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA by Mark Schultz and Charles Darwin's On The Origin Of Species: A Graphic Adaptation by Michael Keller Carolyn

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hello Thread Posters and Readers,

Wow, what a great discussion on incorporating literature in science! At the elementary level, I've found that using storybooks to introduce science content is very helpful since it enables students to explore ideas in science from a familiar story. NSTA press has two great books Picture Perfect Science Lessons and More Picture Perfect Science Lessons are excellent books that help elementary level students explore science through inquiry using favorite picture books and stories. The Everyday Science Mysteries series is an excellent collection of short mysteries that students solve using science content. These books, geared toward higher elementary through middle school, reinforce science content through literature.

The NSTA journals include a wealth of information regarding incorporating literature into science classroom using strategies like literature circles and book clubs. I not only see this as a great opportunity to increase my students awareness and understanding of science, but also find that providing cross-curricular opportunities for my students to learn gives them a broader understanding of concepts and reinforces the ideas that they learn in class. I have attached a collection of resources that I have used to effectively tie science and literacy in my classroom.

I look forward to reading more about how other teachers are tying science and literacy!

Maureen

Using Literature to Teach Science Collection (8 items)
Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Angelika Fairweather asked: Has anyone used the Science comic book series Max Axiom in their classroom? I work with struggling readers and think the graphical interface may help their comprehension. If anyone has any ideas for graphical novels in the middle school science classroom, please pass them along. Thank You, Angie Angie, I have also used the Max Axiom books in the classroom with struggling readers and had very good results. You might want to take a look at the Dr. Birdley materials, created by Nevin Katz. My students loved them all! Good luck, Kendra

Stacy Holland Stacy Holland 6865 Points

Wow, what a great thread. This is exactly what I need. I teach at a Title 1 school, and I am going to figure out how to use the Max Axiom comics in my classroom. Thanks everyone.

Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

I teach in an alternative middle school (6-8th/all disciplines) and will have little extra funds for purchasing classroom materials. I have been spending some time contacting various government agencies and corporations inquiring about any type of support they may provide in science.

I was very excited today when I received a box of assorted comic books that were written and published for The Aerospace Corporation on Space Weather! I realize that they probably have not been tested for readability level - but was thrilled to have received materials that my students will be attracted to open. I don't have specific addresses that I contacted, I basically conducted google searches and began writing.

I'd love to hear about the success of others who have discovered some great 'Freebies'!
Alyce

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Hi Edward and thread participants,
I used to use a Charlotte's Web excerpt - where Charlotte is explaining how she catches and eats her food - during my Life Science class discussions about Arthropods and arachnids, and I used excerpts from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea before our squid dissection. Including classic literature is sometimes how our students hear about these great books. There is another thread under the general science and teaching forum that might have some other book ideas if you are interested:Classical, Classic or Corny Science Books. Thank you, Edward, for bringing your book selection to our attentions. It sounds like it has a lot of potential for integrating into science class discussions.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers