Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Constellations

Earth and Space Science

Constellations

Author Post
Elizabeth Piet Elizabeth Piet 450 Points

Hi there, I am a pre-service teacher planning a two week unit on the solar system. One of my day topics is about constellations. What are some of the most effective ways to teach 2nd graders about contellations and why they form a shape? Any useful resources or hands on activites to get them engaged?

Thanks!

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Hello Elizabeth-

I have shared constellations with our local elementary schools during their science fairs using a portable inflatable planisphere that is available for loan through our ISD. You could check to see if this type of resource is available in your area.

I also teach at a small science camp for boys in the summer and have had my campers make flashlight constellation projectors like the one shown on this website: https://ingeniumcanada.org/scitech/education/try-this-out-constellation-flashlight.php

Good luck with your lessons!

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Elizabeth!

Outer space objects, such as planets (My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas - except there's no more Pizzas - long story but the kids love it...) originate from dust particles that have electrostatic force and gravity causing them to continually grow larger until they find a black hole, of course.  I have done this activity with kids and adults before and they love it.  It's easy.  Just get a sample of gutter gravel, clean it, drag a magnet through the dust, and look at it under the microscope.  This URL explains the steps:

http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~fringwal/09-The-Hunt-for-Micrometeorites.pdf

Once you do this, you can explain that the shapes of the constellations are due to physical forces on very large collections of objects which exert forces on themselves and each other, causing the shapes of the constellations.  I'm sure there's an astrophysicist out there, Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons of Big Bang Theory), who could explain it more accurately but for second graders this is a good start towards engaging kids in astronomy.

I just made up a sample from the flat rubber roof of the church where my private school is located and ordered some digital field miroscopes so each kid could find micrometeorites, photograph them, and print nice pictures.  Weve even cast the captured dust into epoxy resin and made necklaces which the kids proudlt wore.

It also gets the kids exposed to doing a lab and using a microscope.

Best of luck!  This is fun stuff!

jj

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers