Forums

Forums / Life Science / spectrophotometer

Life Science

spectrophotometer

Author Post
 Shawn Clark 230 Points

I "found" a spectrophotometer in an abandoned lab room at my school.  I was wondering does anybody use these in biology or AP Biology? It looks to be in very good shape. 

The photosynthesis lab for AP bio. You can also use food coloring so the student know how to use it. I had a student come back to me a few years ago so happy that she was the only one in her college science class that use one before. This gave me the reason to keep using it. Jackie

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

Hi Shawn,

I use my spectrometer in chemistry, but there are some applications for biology as well. It can also be used to study photosynthesis. Chlorophyll and other plant pigments absorb light in the visible spectrum. Vernier has several different labs that can be done with their spectrophotometer that might give you some more ideas. They should work with any brand of instrument.

Shawn Clark 230 Points

Thank you! I was wondering if I needed to go ahead and secure it or if it would be taking up space.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers