Forums

Forums / STEM / STEAM Family Science NIght

STEM

STEAM Family Science NIght

Author Post
 Rebecca Schumacher 50 Points

I tried to implement a series of after school nights in our alternative education program this year, with little success.  I only had 1 parent ever show up.  To be fair, we only have about 60 students in our program and get about half of them to show up to parent teacher conferences because we tell them they have to come. Does anyone have a great way to "hook" people to get them to show up?  The whole point of this experience was to increase family interest and support for our students. Thanks, Becky

Amanda Upton Amanda Upton 6030 Points

Hello Becky, We had a lot of success at my school when we fed them to attend an evening event. It could be pizza, and companies like Dominos offer discounts for group orders. Kind Regards,

Eduardo Testart Eduardo Testart 135 Points

Dear Rebecca: There is a nice story that Joel Barker tells about the school PS 121 at N York that I strongly recomend you to see. Don´t give up and first try to start with something interesting for the parents, then add the familly, then the students.... till you are able to receive support from a whole community. Sincerely yours *

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers