Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Derecho? HUH?!

Earth and Space Science

Derecho? HUH?!

Author Post
Michael Nilles Michael Nilles 445 Points

Hi everyone, A couple weeks ago in the midwest (Chicago specifically) we experienced a "derecho." Has anyone ever heard of this weather pattern before? We were up until around 1am listening to tornado sirens, hearing rain smack against the windows, and getting frightened by the sound of branches cracking outside our house. I think it has something to do with extremely hot air pushing through against a cold front, because the days around the "derecho" were brutally hot and humid and it brought a lot of rain. In my opinion, meteorologists are just making up words to make the weather report "new and different." In the late 90's it was El Nino...never heard of that before...this past winter was "the polar vortex." What happened to "hey it's going to be warm today" or "bring a couple jackets because it's freezing out!" Are there names for other "scary" weather patterns in other parts of the country? If so, what kind of weather accompanies them? Sincerely, Confused in Chicago P.S. In 1999, a microburst came through my town and uprooted a few trees in our front lawn. I was telling everyone it was a tornado...but they can't saying "no, it was a microburst." Same thing...high winds, scary weather, sirens, etc.

Michael Anson Michael Anson 70 Points

One moved through WV and VA late June 2012. Noticed an awe-inspiring wall of fast moving black clouds with strong winds and thunder, which knocked out the electricity for a week. Since this was not associated with a cold front, there was no relief from the heat and humidity.

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Derechos do exist - and the term has been around for many years. These straight line winds are associated with strong thunderstorms and can cause "meteotsunamis" both in the Great Lakes and along the east coast of the US. Read this article for more information. A definition of derechos is given late in the article. http://www.earthmagazine.org/article/tsunamis-sky-can-meteotsunamis-be-forecast

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers