Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Is it ok not to know Science?

Elementary Science

Is it ok not to know Science?

Author Post
Jessica Smith Jessica Smith 1465 Points

Hello all my name is Jessica Smith and I am currently completeing my master's degree in elementary education. My undergrade is in physical education but I was put on a waiver last year due to the teacher shortage and feel in love with teaching 4th grade, I am teaching math right now but I am taking a science class at Tenn Tech for my masters. I have not done any science classes except for human anantomy and biology is undergrade and feel a little overwhelm. My question is, is it alrigth not to know science to teach it? I mean I did not know much about math until I started lesson planning and teaching. What resources do you recommend or any adice for me? Thank you for you time reading my post and appreciate all your help!

Hi Jessica! First of all, congrats on getting your master degree! To comment on your question, I've been a reading intervention teacher for 29 years and taught Science for the first time last year for the same reason as you ...teacher shortage. I wasn't happy at the beginning, but I ended up LOVING it so much that I find myself revolving my intervention lessons around science now. I was also scared because I didn't know enough about it, but I followed the manual and it was super fun and easy to teach, so DON'T STRESS :) Most companies are so teacher friendly that you'll be fine. Good luck! Nicolle :)

Amy Banks Amy Banks 4700 Points

Jessica--

Congratulations! Welcome to Science teaching--it's a blast.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is that it is okay to not know everything! No one can be an expert at the whole of science, so don't be afraid to tell you students you don't know all the answers. I have looked up stuff during and after classes and learned along with my students. To me, it is more important to admit that I don't know yet than to guess and teach them something that is wrong.

If you come across a topic you need to know more about, I suggest Google searches, adding the grade level you teach to your search terms--like 'water cycle 2nd grade' or 'Kreb's Cycle high school biology.' I know, I know...you have to be careful about where you go. As I tell my students, there is at least as much good information on the internet as there is incorrect information on the internet, but Wikipedia isn't a terrible place to start. Just wanting to know is the first step.

Just as you did with math, you will find that you will learn as you go, and that is probably the best part about teaching something new! Have fun!

Victoria Melchor Victoria Melchor 730 Points

Hey Jessica! I don't think there anything wrong with not knowing any science and still teaching it. Sometimes we can learn along side with our students which can make the experience more enjoyable! 

Dalila Garza Dalila 355 Points

Hi, Mrs. Smith You mentioned that you knew very little about math before you began lesson planning and teaching, so it's great to see that you are passionate about educating fourth graders.I have a strong sense that you will excel in all subjects.Some university instructors, in my opinion, are not good lecturers even though they know everything there is to know.All I can say is to constantly have trust in your abilities and use your math experience as evidence that you can succeed in any subject.

Alexis Mayorga Alexis 590 Points

Hello Jessica, thank you for sharing. First, congrats on continuing your education. I have found in my personal life that the more you submerge yourself into a new routine or information you start to get more intrigued by it and eventually you start to embrace it. Do not see it as an obstacle rather than an opportunity for growth. By the sounds of it, it seems you can overcome any challenge that you get presented with. You will do great as you are doing it right now.

Enly Meranda Enly Meranda 465 Points

Hello Jessica, 

First of all, Congratulations on your master's degree that is a huge accomplishment and you must feel so much relief having that degree after such dedication! 

As for your question, I believe that practice makes perfect. If you practice science over and over and prepare ahead of time by learning the content you are teaching,g I believe everything will be just fine and possible! 

Good Luck!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers