Forums

Forums / Chemistry / The idea of teaching Applied Chemistry

Chemistry

The idea of teaching Applied Chemistry

Author Post
Jessica Gomez Jessica Gomez 530 Points

I know this is a sore issues for some people especially veteran teachers BUT... would it not be good to teach stupids things they will actually use in real life too? Why not give the students more information about things that they should know more about. I think with the way kids are now it makes sense to change with them. Why have them in a class that they are never going to use again if we can put them in a class that will benefit them? Now of course we still need to teach chemistry in high school but why not teach the kids with no interest in science an applied version of chemistry to help them in life, that way they are not missing out but getting a more useful applicable version. (the science kids are getting the version they need and that will prepare them for the college level classes). It is a win-win. Any other opinions or thoughts? Anyone already teaching something like this?

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

I have toyed with the idea of offering Conceptual Chemistry, which is essentially what you describe, for those students without good math skills or that are in a skilled (vs. professional) pathway and are not planning on going to college, but still need a junior science. I'm the only chemistry and physics teacher and am teaching 4 sections of chemistry, a double session of AP chemistry and 2 sessions of physics each day so it hasn't been a big priority to add another prep this year. The AP Chemistry is new this year for me. I do however think that this class has its place for just the reasons you mention and am considering recommending that perhaps one of my chemistry classes be converted to conceptual next year.

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Jessica, you have a great idea. Even if a student is wanting a science degree but weak in chemistry due to numerous past reasons, they might want/need to "start" with a Conceptual Chemistry before venturing into the more difficult chemistry. Also, if taught correctly, some of the fear of taking "Chemistry" might disapate, allowing more students to consider going further in science. I have seen too many capable students shy away from science only because of their fear of not beinag able to handle the subject. Teaching that course in a manner to set some foundation and be able to apply it would really help LOTS of students.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

MIT offers a class in kitchen chemistry http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/special-programs/sp-287-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2009/ and also advanced kitchen chemistry http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-s16-advanced-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2002/ The ACS has noted an uptick in Kitchen Chemistry http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/i36/Kitchen-Chemistry-Classes-Take-Off.html I would love to offer this as a continuing ed class at a community college

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I you decide to develop a kitchen chemistry class there are great resources here http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25183

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

And Harvard is offering a MOOC right now on Edx - SPU27x Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science that I believe there is still time to join. You might find some ideas there as well. https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-spu27x-science-cooking-haute-639

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

I am also in a situation where my alternative education students could benefit from cooking chemistry. Right now, we are doing some water quality testing through the Trout in the Classroom project while raising 500 Brook Trout and they seem to be fairly well engaged. My challenge is to get some basic chemistry in a lab situation with alternative ed students in a non lab room. I will check out the links and resources. Thanks, everyone!

Kalee Tock Kalee Tock 460 Points

I love the idea of conceptual chemistry, though I would not want to restrict it to cooking. I think an environmental chemistry class would be extremely useful to many students and would make them better citizen scientists. Have you read "Physics for Future Presidents"? A lot of the "physics" is actually chemistry. I would love to help design a course based on these issues and ideas. Please post about where you end up going with this. I am very interested!

Thanks, Kalee. Alternative Ed kids are notoriously difficult to keep engaged but, so far, it's been going pretty well. We have a Trout in the classroom tank with adult trout and a lot of critters that make ammonia and a tank with newborn trout that don't make a lot. It's interesting to have the kids go through the chemistry on water testing and compare the color results of one tank over the other, come up with an explanation of why it is what it is, then come up with a possible solution and retest later. I always take the opportunity to show the chemistry of what's going on on the smart board and also introduce the basic concepts from a Scipack or Science Object. When the kids see the effect on living things in the classroom, they more eagerly embrace the science part of the atomic or molecular interactions. Makes more interesting classes than memorizing R-OH vs R-O-R.

Stacey Arantes Stacey Arantes 305 Points

James, I like that idea of aquariums in the classroom for the students to test. I want to definitely incorporate that. 2nd is the kitchen chemistry taken after high school chemistry or before? I would love to do that. I have my students make a sugar scrub at Christmas. That's fun!

Hi Stacey! I have special needs kids and they love taking care of the fish. We collect fish, crayfish, and macros from the local stream through the Trout in the Classroom Project and also with an aquatic permit I obtained from the Fish Commission, which was free. The only cost is that the instructor has to have and display a fishing license. The collector's permit allows the teacher to have the class collect fishbait and baitfish at no cost, even if they would normally need a license. You normally have to have a license to "fish" after the age of 16, but with the collector's permit my 16-18-year-olds can legally participate. Learned this program at the Governor's Institute for Environment and Ecology and it's great. Chemistry is not offered at my private school nor is dissection due to the risk involved with special needs and AEDY kids. They only have a couple chapters in Biology, so I try to introduce some hands on chemistry with relatively safe materials. It's about the best I can do. The nice thing is that when the kids do their colorimetric tests, they actually have to adjust something in the tanks to take care of the fish. For me it works. Thanks for the comments!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers