Forums

Earth and Space Science

Planets

Author Post
Yenedith Martinez Yenedith Martinez 400 Points

Hello Everyone! I will soon be graduating and I am excited to have recommendations on how to teach the planets to my future students. When i first learnt the planets my teacher didn't make it interesting so it took me a while to remember the different planets and the other in the solar system.What activities do you guys recommend for students to be able to remember and have fun while learning about thr planets? Thank you in advance.

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Try this: Divide students into eight pairs or groups (depending on how many students you have), and assign each group one planet to learn about and then make a presentation to the class. As a result of their investigation and the presentations, the students will automatically learn, not only the order of the planets, but also a lot more about them. For example, they'll learn about their moons, rings, et cetera.

In learning about the planets, students should find out not only the facts about the planets, but also how we came to know those facts. Remember, memorizing facts is not science. Science is a process of investigating the world -- and the universe -- through a variety of methods. (There is no one 'scientific method.')

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers