Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Teaching First Grade About the Weather

Early Childhood

Teaching First Grade About the Weather

Author Post
Glenda Frutiz Glenda Frutiz 1095 Points

Good afternoon, 

I am developing a 5E lesson plan in which I plan to teach students about the weather. This includes teaching vocablary words as well as teaching about the temperature. Some of the activities I have developed include matching card activities in which they match the vocabulary word to the picture, as well as having them record the weather two times a day for a week. 

Are there any other activities that I could implement in to this lesson plan. I found it was quite difficult to come up with different ways to teach the weather. 

I woudl appreciate any help. Thank you!

Yamilet Sagastizado Yamilet Sagastizado 1005 Points

Hey Glenda, 

After reading your post and you mentioning that students will be learning about the temperature, i was thinking that the students could role play being a weather boy or girl. I have also seen people create a cloud in a jar, all you need is a cup or jar, food coloring (blue), water and shaving cream. You fill the cup/jar with water then put sahving cream on top of the water, and then add a few drops of the food coloring. The shaving cream will float on top of the water while the food coloring will go through the shaving crema nad into the water creatin a small 'storm'. You can also go outside and talk about the weather, and have the students write down what they see, or draw what they see. 

Amanda Fraley Amanda Fraley 905 Points

Hi! 

When teaching about clouds, one activity that I have seen students love (and learn from!) involves a plastic (clear) cup, a lid to the cup, and hot water (so be careful!).  The teacher will pour water into the cup and then students will need to close the lid on their cup and watch as 'clouds' (condensation - what clouds are made of) form inside the cup. They should be encouraged to feel the cup and use hand magnifying glasses so they can see the small droplets of water!  This allows students to see how clouds form and how rain comes from them (as the water droplets will begin to grow too heavy and will start to 'rain' from the cup lid/side)!  

Hope this helps!

Edit: I have done this experiment with 2nd grade students!  

Yoselin Ruiz Yoselin Ruiz 1180 Points

Hi! I know introducing new vocabulary can sometimes be tricky with young students. If it is not practiced enough and used in their everyday life, more than likely they will not remember it. I read: http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/oct14/vol72/num02/Move-It-or-Lose-it!.aspx

and I completly agreed with it! Involving hand gestures to recall vocabulary is very good for their memory. I remember singing a weather song everyday with my students. It went a little like 'What will the weather be today and can we go out to play? Sunny, cloudy, lots of wind...' When saying sunny we would do a hand gesture that looked like a wave which ment that the sun was coming up and shinning. When saying cloudy we would put our hands close to our eyes and make it seem like the clouds are covering the sun which in our case was the eyes. When saying wind we would move our hands from side to side. This was just teaching basic things that happen with weather but I am sure you can find great gestures to fit your vocabulary words. I hope this idea has helped! 

Ashley Vinson Ashley Vinson 1465 Points

I think using dramatic play is a great idea! Although they are in 1st grade, at large group time you could have them take turns 'reporting' the weather to the class. You could even find a cardboard box for a camera and a microphone! Additionally, if you wanted to pull in some math you could graph the weather daily. You could either go in depth with temperature, or just start more simple with categories such as 'sunny, windy, rainy' etc. Keep a running chart, and then at the end put it into a bar graph. You could even extend this over the whole year, and then at the end talk about what 'type' of year it was (cold, hot, rainy, sunny)

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

My students love this - we even followed the naming conventions used by the TV/Radio stations and created our own Call Letters.  We also report the weather in the home languages of students in the class; I've learned a lot of new words that way!   Many local TV meteorologists  will visit classrooms if you can't take field trips to the station.   Love the graphing idea!  Have you had a chance to talk to your local CoCoRahs and add a citizen science element by reporting the preicipation daily?

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hello fellow science teacher,

I am replying you behalf of Funsciencedemos YouTube Channel that is home to hundreds of free videos for ideas for teachers and students to recreate in the classroom. Science is our passion and we are so excited to share our engaging, kid-teacher-parent friendly, and interactive lessons with you to use in the classroom or at home. Our videos adhere to the common core science standards, encompass a wide variety of science concepts, and are specifically geared toward younger learners. All videos on the FunScienceDemos channel come with an English subtitle that can be translated into almost any language, making science lessons accessible virtually any place in the world.  

We encourage you check it out and spread the word! We post new science videos once a month, please subscribe our channel.

Also check out our weather video: https://youtu.be/G5L49r4OJDQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos

Sincerely,

The FunScienceDemos Team

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers