Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Butterfly Cycle

Early Childhood

Butterfly Cycle

Author Post
Juliette Sanchez Juliette Sanchez 70 Points

what are some good activities for the Butterfly Cycle as a new incoming kindergarten teacher?

Kristen Castillo Rebekah Garcia 50 Points

Kristen Castillo Kristen Castillo 50 Points

An activity I would try to do with the students is to create the life cycle through a hands on activity while making observations from a book they have read to learn the cycle. Using different dry pastas, they will have four varities of pasta. The first one will be the bowtie pasta, the second on will be the shells, the third will be the swirl pasta, and the fourth will rice grains. The students will then make the observation of the the how the butterfly looks in each part of the cycle and compare it to the pastas. It will be as followed, the first stage of the butterfly is the egg and the pasta that most represents that stage is the rice grain. The second stage is the egg becoming a caterpillar and the pasta that best represents that is the swirlly pasta. Next, is the chrysalis stage (or the cacoon) and the pasta that best represents this stage is the shells. The last stage of the butterfly is it being the butterfly, and the students would come to the conclusion that the pasta that represents this stage is the bow tie pasta. Once the have seperated the pasta, they can glue them in the proper stage on a paper plate or hand out. Hope the explaination helped.

Madison Whatley Madison Whatley 190 Points

I am not sure of a specific activity, but I can remember one specific field trip with butterflies. One year, my teacher took my classmates and I every other week to see the progress of butterflies throughout their cycle. This really helped me understand more, and this has stuck with me until today.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers