Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / Undergraduate Interested in Teaching, Further Education?

Professional Learning

Undergraduate Interested in Teaching, Further Education?

Author Post
David Sprinkle David Sprinkle 935 Points

Hello, I am currently a senior in a physics program graduating in the fall. I know that I am interested in teaching for the foreseeable future. This semester i have enrolled in "Teaching Middle and High School Science".  As I am nearing the end of my senior year I see 3 paths, going directly into the workforce teaching, enrolling in a Masters of Education program, or enrolling in a physics Masters/PHD Program.   My question is what are the pro/cons of each path? As many of you have more experience with teaching I am hoping your expertise could help me and other undergraduates interested in pursuing a similar path.

Alexis Martinez Alexis Martinez 2970 Points

Hey David, I'm finding myself in the same situation as you, I am nearing the end of my program and I don't know whether to go straight into teaching or go for my Masters. I've spoken to many people, some are current teachers, and they all told me different things. One person told me "To go for the path that I think about the most, because that's usually the better option for you." I honestly, had no idea how that was going to help me, but it was a start I guess. Both paths are important and a good option. I've been leaning more towards getting into the classroom, because I'm more excited about that. Hope you can come up with a decision, if you haven't already!

Lee Graves Lee Graves 190 Points

David, I don't know if this has reached you after you made your decision but here are my thoughts as a 15 year teacher who looked at this option as well: 1. If you are passionate about a certain area of physics than why not go into the Masters/PhD program? If you want to teach, you can usually find a class or two to teach while in your program. Besides, if you get the Masters or PhD in field you can teach a wider variety of topics when you graduate as well (and at a variety of levels). 2. I would question why you are getting the Master's in Education. If you are doing it simply for the Masters, I would suggest teaching for a couple of years and then getting this masters. In my opinion, schools will be more impressed with a masters in Physics than a Masters in Education. 3. Does your program require a student teaching experience, or will you be entering a program that doesn't require that? I say that because I firmly believe that spending some time in a classroom as a pre-service teacher working with an experienced teacher is a good way to help you find the path for you. I hope these thoughts help.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi David-- Just a few thoughts -- many high schools are desperate for physics teachers, so getting a job right away might not be difficult. In terms of a master's degree, once you're hired, some school districts have graduate tuition reimbursement for teachers as part of the contract (something to check on when you interview). It's been my experience if you're teaching full time, an M.Ed. is doable. The courses meet in the evenings, weekends, summers, or online. A MS/PhD in physics, with its emphasis on research, might be more difficult to do while teaching in the classroom full time. Mary B.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers