Forums

Forums / Life Science / Genetics of Sesame Street Characters

Life Science

Genetics of Sesame Street Characters

Author Post
Erica Motamed Erica Motamed 555 Points

Has anyone tried this?  I'm planning on doing this activity in three weeks and was looking for some pointers... It's from Science Scope, February 2001, by Susan Ray 

Andy Amstutz Andy Amstutz 265 Points

I was curious if you tried this activity and if you did, how did it go?  I've seen a couple different versions of this and wondered which one you tried in your class.

Genevieve Remy Genevieve Remy 2180 Points

This seems like so much fun! I am so fascinated with genetics. I can sit down for hours talking to people about how their ancestry relates to their phenotype. I think genetics are a lot of fun and having students evaluate the genetics of characters they are familiar with is even more entertaining for them. I am still a pre-service teacher, but this is something I would certainly apply to a class.

Jonathan Marin Jonathan Marin 435 Points

I have seen people play with the concept of genetics with fictional characters. As long as you have a great imagination and can make it believable, go for it. 

Alyssa Henderson Alyssa Henderson 370 Points

This sounds so cool! I want to hear more!

Tina Campbell Tina Campbell 20 Points

I haven't heard of using sesame street characters, but I have used simulations in which you build your own alien.  It is very interactive for the students, and teaches about phenotypes and genotypes.  It can be very amusing to see what is created.

Kate Thomson Kate Thomson 365 Points

I like it.

There are so many great intro genetics activities (Ree-Bops, etc).

If you teach BIOLOGY or CHEMISTRY and haven't been to Nancy Clark's websites it's worth a visit for a treasure trove of activities!

She has the Sesame Street Genetics posted there.

GREAT RESOURCES!!!

Hayley Lit Hayley Lit 585 Points

Wow this sounds so interesting. I have never thought of using these familiar characters to teach about genetics. I feel that students will be interested and would also be fascinated by the fact that we are using make believe characters to teach about something that is real, like genetics. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers