Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Learning about Rocks

Elementary Science

Learning about Rocks

Author Post
Rebecca Yeager Rebecca Yeager 180 Points

I am a preservice teacher studying to teach grades K-6. I remember in elementary school one of least exciting units was learning about rocks. What are fun tools/resources/lessons I can use to make learning about the different types of rocks and the rock cycle fun for students? I want to make sure my future students enjoy all units of science!

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to Rock Day (https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/sc04_041_04_40) is another article you should cehck out for ideas for the classroom.

Take care,

Flavio.

Jeff Torrance Jeff Torrance 560 Points

For a rock/earth unit I did a study on sand and where sand featured in the rock cycle. I had to collect different types of sand from different places (I am an international teacher so my kids collect it when they go on holidays to all sorts of exotic destinations). Get some basic microscopes (hand held with built in light and uv light) and get the kids to catalogue what they find. Simple red sand from the gobi desert is mostly clear with elements of red ochre rocks. Beach sand contains shells, animal skeletons and other cool stuff. Some lake sand I had once contained a couple of fossilised shells embedded in a grain of sand. Sand from a forest has lots of leaf detritus and maybe a bug or two. What then happens to the sand and where does it come from? How old is the sand? these are all questions you can ask to grab attention. Also using the little handheld microscopes is a lot of fun just going around the room looking at things. Then when we go outside with them POW!!! minds blown.

Tabitha Rosamond Tabitha Rosamond 2073 Points

Hello Rebecca! 

I am also a preservice teacher, a mom, and a nana. There is a wealth of information given on this thread by other contributors, and I wanted to add just a very simple suggestion....kids are motivated by food. I have seen some edible cooking experiments that illustrate how rocks are formed. For instance, 'Magic Shell' in the ice cream section poured over an ice cube..it quickly cools and forms an 'igneous rock'. There are other recipes for edible rocks out there too! 

Jen Gutierrez Jennifer Gutierrez 1920 Points

Hi Rebecca,

The NGSS are set up to really make this an exciting and engaging concept for students to investigate :)

As you look through the Earth & Space Science standards for K-5 https://ngss.nsta.org/AccessStandardsByTopic.aspx you'll find the performance expectations include those opportunities for students to engage through the science & engineering practices. 

There are also lots of great 5Es lessons found in the Science & Children and Science Scope journals that are phenomena-driven and engaging. One of my favorites comes from Teaching through Trade Books by Christine Anne Royce; Rocking Around the Rock Cycle - “What type of rock is this?” is a common question spoken by all children at some point in their young lives. Many students have rocks of all shapes and sizes in their “collections.” In this column, young students will have the opportunity to explore more in depth as they make observations of the three types of rocks—igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary. Upper-grade students who have some previous study of rocks can use these books to review what they know of the rock cycle. https://common.nsta.org/resource/default.aspx?id=10.2505%2f4%2fsc07_044_05_12

I hope that helps some! jen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers