Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Resources for Teaching Reaction Types

Chemistry

Resources for Teaching Reaction Types

Author Post
Kevin Hueston Kevin Hueston 80 Points

Hi, I am a graduate student working on my Masters and teaching license in Biology and Chemistry. In my class in which I am student teaching we are about to introduce chemical reactions. It will include single and double replacements, combustion reactions, and synthesis reactions. First I was wondering if anyone had any good resources such as books or websites that would be good for labs or even just engaging short demos that would be entertaining as well as informative. Also I was wondering if anyone knew of some other good activities besides for straight experiments that anyone has used that have worked well for explaining the concepts in the types of reactions. Thanks!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

This may help

Attachments

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

Here is a set of demonstrations I had my students prep and perform for their class during our chemical reactions unit last year (and a link to my chemical reactions collection of links & resources).

Chemistry - Chemical Reactions Collection (25 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

There are a series of free chemical reactions Science Objects in the Learning Center. Just do a simple search for "Chemical Reactions" and they will all pop up. I am attaching a couple of examples. Good luck.

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

I just created this to use in my review from last semester. They have to determine the reaction type based on the reactants and then match the products to the reactants. I figure this is a different realm of learning (kinesthetic maybe) than just listening to me go through the reaction types. If any one wants to comment or give advice on how to improve activity. I'm doing it on Friday!

Attachments

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I have had a long "think" since the last time I taught this subject in my Introductory Chemistry Class. As students move forward in chemistry, not all reactions will fit into these neat pigeon holes. Are we doing students a dis-service in teaching them that the world can be so neatly parsed? I am thinking about adding something to the effect that these are basic chemical processes that in their simplest form constitute individual reactions. If one continues in chemistry one will encounter more complex reactions that are comprised more than one of these processes.

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

Yes, I agree. For most of my chemistry students, the "five reaction types" provide a way for them to organize information about simple reactions. Most will probably never have another chemistry class (I teach the whole spectrum of professional and vocational students). But I tell them that if they go further in chemistry later on they will find that reactions can be more complicated and that not all reactions will fit easily into these groups. I offer an enrichment opportunity to allow more advanced students to spend more time learning about oxidation-reduction reactions as well. I do think that these 5 groupings are appropriate for novice "chemists" though and provides a framework for them to build on later.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Pam and Rebecca, I agree with both of you. It is important that students know that there are exceptions to every rule. However, at the beginning, high school chemists need the structure of the five reaction types. After they learn to see patterns, I think it is very appropriate to throw them some curve balls. Students need to be presented with those more complex reactions and decide where they fix into the current five reaction model. Then students can decide if a new model needs to be developed. That being said...I am sure that those new to teaching chemistry would like some examples that could be used in their classes. Pam, Rebecca, other thread readers....any suggestions? What would be some examples of more complex chemical reactions that wouldn't fit into the five reaction model?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers