Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Bringing Field-trips to the Classroom

Elementary Science

Bringing Field-trips to the Classroom

Author Post
Lauren Crow Lauren Crow 205 Points

What is a good way to bring scientific 'fieldtrips' into the classroom without having to physically go somewhere or spend a lot of money?

Adriana Ramirez Adriana Ramirez 200 Points

Hi.

If you contact your local zoo, they will be able to tell you what deals they have for their traveling zoo. Your zoo may also have more programs and offers for teachers and how you can bring science into your classroom. You can find more information than you ever imagine, just a simple phone call away.

Ashley Gaboury Ashley Gaboury 190 Points

If there aren't any zoos that offer in-class things, there may be other resources for bringing animals into your classroom! I know there's one or two around Dallas, Texas. But there's definitely some organizations that will bring animals into the class and talk about them with students!

Amanda Cabrera Amanda Cabrera 485 Points

Hello Lauren, I currently work in a school for indiviuals with special needs and we hire a private animal company to come to our school every summer and talk to our students about the animal, where their native home is, what and how they catch their food and so on so fourth. I think animals are a great entry way into introducing students to many different areas in science such as biology, ecology, and a million of other topics!

Alejandra Gonzalez Alejandra Gonzalez 480 Points

What I have seen a lot lately is 'virtual zoos'. I know many schools do not have the resources to be able to take their students to zoos. Many zoos offer virtual tours via their web page. Even if zoos do not offer this, I would recommend turning the classroom into a zoo. You can create different closures for different types of animals and have a 'tour'. Also, adding a laptop at each closure with a video downloaded about the animal!

Hannah Jones Hannah Jones 1200 Points

How can we do virtual field trips in a first grade classroom? 

Brenda Velasco Mizenko Brenda Velasco 2695 Points

Many museums and even science organization have educational 'Trunks' or 'kits' that teachers can check out to use in the classroom. For example, our local museum has different trunks with themes such as Pioneers. They contain lots of lesson plans and projects for the students to do in the classroom. Many of them are free. Sometimes someone from the museum can even come to the classroom to speak to the students.  We also have a Birds of Prey Sanctuary that will bring birds to the school for students to see. It's always quite fun for them. Contact you local museums or different science type of organizations. I'm sure many have some sort of educational outreach program.

Lauren O'Leary Lauren O'Leary 490 Points

I know there are many organizations that will come out to schools and classrooms and do demonstrations. Around me there is an organizaion Echoes of Nature that will come out and bring different animal artifacts and animals themselves to talk about. I also think that any kind of role-playing activity would bring that sense of 'fieldtrip' into the classroom. Maybe start a classroom garden and during certain points you can have everyone dress into their gardening attire and use their gardening tools to go out and tend to the garden. Or something Safari related where everyone gets into Safari gear and the class goes on a scavenger hunt outside. I think imaginitive activities like that would give the classroom that 'fieldtrip' feel!

Karla Bonilla Karla Bonilla 40 Points

I agree that their are other forms of givng students the 'Field Trip' experience without actually going out of the school campus. Role playing is a great method for students to learn in a fun and exciting way science. During role play then can each live the experience in hands on activities which they will obsereve the knowledehe and information the teacher is trying to teach during the unit. I also think that once a week arrange and talk to the principal in your school to see if you could take the classroom outside and give the class outside fro stuents to actually learn about science in nature with various activities regadring science that involves them to explore outside. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers